St George Island Fl.

caokgafamily

Has anybody camped at St George Island State Park in Florida? It is south of Panama City. I read a review and it said it was the 3rd best campground in the south east. We are going for New Years for 5 days, it looks pretty nice.

Steve

Jim/rsvl/AR

St. George Island, FL

:cool:We have camped at St. George several times and for access to the beach is is VERY nice. The only negative thing we found was cell phone service was very limited. Take plenty of supplies as it is a distance back to town.

Jim

edt

St George

We got chased out this year because of hurricane one of my wife's favorite campgrounds bugs are bad some times of the year

Netem

Is it true that no pets are allowed in the campground? edt, are you talking about no see-ums and what time of the year is worst for the bugs?

ct0218

I lived not far from there for 29 years, nice place. Bugs aren't really bad there.The worst time is August, some mosquitoes and lots of biting flies. Nothing there in the winter. If you find a couple of large sand dunes on the east end, to block any wind, the beach can be comfortable on a sunny day in the winter. You will have the beach to yourselves. Another nice State CG is Topsail Resort, near Sandestin. More to do there in the winter since the beach can be a little chilly. The 3 miles of bay does help moderate the temps on St. George unless there is a stiff north wind.

caokgafamily

Thanks everybody for the input. We are looking forward to bringing in the new year down there. CT0218: Yes you are right about Topsail, we have been there 5 times and love it! We just thought we would go some place different this trip. Pics are Topsail.

Attachments

• DSC00537.jpg
    DSC00537.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00550.jpg
    DSC00550.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

caokgafamily

We had a great 6 days at St George! I would highly reccomend St George. Its 700 steps to the beach from the campground. We met somebody else with a new Bighorn,nice people. Back to work I go, how can I retire and just RV around the country ? I think this June we are pulling the BH out to California for a month. We have done this every 3 years since we left Ca in 1999. I'm glad fuel is down for that trip. We are heading out again in 2 weeks with some friends to Little Olcmugee state park. What do I need to do to convince the DW to sell everything and hit the road?

jbeletti

...I think this June we are pulling the BH out to California for a month. We have done this every 3 years since we left Ca in 1999...

Steve and Marlena,

You need to plan to come to the 2009 Heartland Owners North American Rally in Goshen, IN in mid-June on your way to CA. You won't regret it. And if you join the Heartland Owners Club "before" you register for the rally, you'll get a $25 discount on the rally fee! Such a deal. Hope to see you there.

Jim

caokgafamily

Jim,

We would love to go to the rally in Goshen, but unfortunately we have to many relatives that are still alive in Ca that we need to visit before they pass on. I'm glad they are all still kicking and sometimes feel sad we live so far away. But thats Life !!