2009 Ohio Heartland Owner's Rally

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
2009 Ohio Chapter - Heartland Owner's Rally

Well John Bird and I got together this evening and decided on a date for the first annual Ohio Heartland Owner's Rally.

May 29,30 & 31st 2009

1-28-2009 - We have decided to use the Dayton KOA or Dayton KOA for our first Ohio Chapter Rally. I will post new information as to contact info after I have squared things with them.

2-18-2009 - We are set to start making reservations with KOA. Please feel free to make your reservations directly with them. When you do, please tell them you are with the Heartland group. I have asked them to try and put us together. I'll keep me fingers crossed. Their direct number is 1-937-833-3888 If you use the 800 number I am not sure you will get to talk with them directly.

Agenda:
Friday evening - John and I will provide dinner for the incoming group, please bring your chairs and drinks and join us for dinner.

Saturday - Trailer touring, checkout each other's mods, corn hole, hillbilly golf, introduction to the forum, chit-chat,
- maybe a virtual factory tour for those who have not had chance to tour the factory in person,
- Let's try a potluck for dinner.

Sunday - KOA does breakfast in the pavillion for a nominal fee.

Mark (mrcomer2000@yahoo.com)

P.S. You all will find that I am poor with names so please let me know all names of all attendees. Thanks.

Attendees: ______________________________Potluck item:
johnjbird - John & Myrna Bird **___________________
mrcomer - Mark, Linda, Amanda & Justin Comer**____Sloppy Joes & Lasagna
kkamshop - Ken & Kathy AmRhein________________
Smokeybare - Marv & Karen Osborn ______________Stick to your ribs... Cowboy Beans
Mike&LisaHumphres - Mike & Lisa _________________
Jim Beletti - Jim & Nancy Beletti**_________________
redwing2 - Joseph & Gail Swartz _________________
tom p - Tom & Nancy Padovano**_________________
Cyclone Bill - Bill, Kay, Billy & Kyle Axel ___________
geeman53-Garry and Karen Hunter _______________
mjordan-Michael & Darlene Jordan ________________
mcbubba-Tom & Denise McBride**_______________
kfarms-Mark & Sabra Kemp** _________________
* = reservations made
**=attended

See KOA Site Map attached or click here to open larger view for downloading/printing.

Attachments

• dayton_koa_site_map.jpg
    dayton_koa_site_map.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 31
  • img003.pdf
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

couch

I'm all for trying to get together this spring/summer. But I would like to ask, where in the state of Ohio is everyone from?? We would be looking at an 3-4 hour drive to Springfield/Dayton area to get there.

mrcomer

Well I went to the Dayton R.V. Supershow today and had a chance to talk with the owners of the Dayton Tall Timbers KOA. In order for us to get any kind of price break we would have to have at least 10 units coming in. I am leaning towards this campground because I know it is really nice. There are stores and restaurants close by. If you wanted to travel a little bit (30-40 minutes) there is Tom Raper RVs in Richmond Indiana if anyone needs parts. They are now a Heartland dealer. There is also Couch's Campers in Middletown, not really sure how far from the KOA though.

If anyone is interested in joining us please let us know. I would like to be able to start planning.

Mark

Last edited:

scott b

truck

Hello Mark , I was just curious , how is your 2500 doing towing the Landmark? Does it seem like enough truck , brakes , weight , ect . Thanks ...Scott

mrcomer

Hi Scott,
Yes our 2500 does well. We towed from Xenia Ohio all the way to Branson Missouri and it really did good. Ideally I would feel better with a dually but that just isn't going to happen anytime soon for us.

Mark

scott b

truck

Glad to hear it Mark, we have an 08 Dodge Mega Cab and hate to compromise on the trailer because of our truck , but I don't want to drive around town in a dually. I use mine for work , so it will be a long time before we will tow the trailer enough to justify another truck. Most of our trips are 400 to 600 miles a week at a time. Of the life of my truck i will probably only tow 15% to 20% .We live in souther Ca and most of our trips are through the desert , we have a few pretty good grades but if I am carfull we should be alright. Thanks for the reply... Scott

Well John Bird and I got together this evening and decided on a date for the first annual Ohio Heartland Owner's Rally.

May 29,30 & 31st 2009

Campground to be determined. We initially considered two, one is Beaver Valley Resort and the other is Dayton Tall Timber KOA . John has been to Beaver Valley and I have been to the KOA.

Agenda also to be determined.

Since this will be the first one we are putting on, any input will greatly be appreciated. Please keep in mind that we have limited resources.

Mark

P.S. You all will find that I am poor with names so please let me know all names of all attendees. Thanks.

Attendies:
jbird - John & Myrna
mrcomer - Mark & Linda
kkamshop -
pulltab -

Hello. We are new members and have just purchased our 2009 3410RE Big Horn. We pull with a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. We have been camping for 5 years as this is our 7th camper. We started with a small pop up. Each new camper has been christened at Tall Timbers in Dayton Ohio. We absolutely LOVE this campground. It would be a perfect location for a Heartland Rally! The owners are wonderful and their pride in ownership shows in every inch of this resort! If Dayton Tall Timbers KOA is the final location, count us in!!

SmokeyBare

Ohio Chapter of Heartland Owners Rally timing couldn't be better !

We plan on attending the Escapee's Rally at Sedalia Missouri, May 24 through 29... Ohio Chapter Rally on May 29 to the 31... then on to the North America Heartland Owners Rally at Goshen Indiana...

Keep us posted as to the Location Please...

Whewwww..... Busy spring !

Marv

mrcomer

Ohio Chapter of Heartland Owners Rally timing couldn't be better !

We plan on attending the Escapee's Rally at Sedalia Missouri, May 24 through 29... Ohio Chapter Rally on May 29 to the 31... then on to the North America Heartland Owners Rally at Goshen Indiana...

Keep us posted as to the Location Please...

Whewwww..... Busy spring !

Marv

Wholly cow Marv, you da man. Missouri to Dayton in a day. It's a haul but happy to have you there. Thanks,

Mark

mrcomer

Hello. We are new members and have just purchased our 2009 3410RE Big Horn. We pull with a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. We have been camping for 5 years as this is our 7th camper. We started with a small pop up. Each new camper has been christened at Tall Timbers in Dayton Ohio. We absolutely LOVE this campground. It would be a perfect location for a Heartland Rally! The owners are wonderful and their pride in ownership shows in every inch of this resort! If Dayton Tall Timbers KOA is the final location, count us in!!

Congratulations Mike and Lisa and welcome to the forum. You sound like us, we are on our 7th camper in 9 years. My parents used to take us to the KOA when I was growing up. We have brought our kids there too. It is about 45 minutes from our house. I am familiar with the current and past owners. Both seem to have very similar management styles. Very proud and well kept campground. Have you considered coming to Goshen for the North American Rally? It is an awesome time and Heartland treats us very well. Factory tours and wonderful dinner etc.....

Mark

SmokeyBare

The Haul is somewhere in the 8 1/2 hour range... some 550 miles... give or take...

I may be wrong... but Jim Beletti should be making the same run... Keep a Light on... We'll be there !

mrcomer

The Haul is somewhere in the 8 1/2 hour range... some 550 miles... give or take...

I may be wrong... but Jim Beletti should be making the same run... Keep a Light on... We'll be there !

When will you be going over to Goshen. We plan on being there the Saturday before the weekend of the rally. We want to explore more of the area around there during the week.

SmokeyBare

We'll be heading that area after Dayton. No plans yet as to where we'll camp yet though... this area has plenty of Campgrounds... Sometimes the Fairgrounds has other groups using the park so it may be busy... just a thought.. But hey !! I'm open..

Marv

kkamshop

We are going to Goshen early too, arriving on the 7th - I've always wanted to go to the Shipshewana flea market, which is mid-week.
We haven't decided whether we will stay at the fairgrounds or another campground before the rally starts.

We want to get some slide toppers installed while we are up there, so we might stay closer to wherever we get those.

jbeletti

K&K,

If I may make a couple of suggestions...

Another rally will be finishing up at the Fairgrounds in the NW section that will be ours. They end on Monday. So the soonest we can get on those sites and know we won't have to move is later Monday or even Tuesday morning.

My suggestions are:

1. Stay in the South CG at the Fairgrounds. It's FHU on grass and you're still "there".
  2. Stay at the Elkhart CG. This way, you're nearer to service centers that can do your upgrades (RV Capital Service Center, RV America/Recreational Specialties, Charger Enterprises etc.)
I am preparing some points of interest documents for each of the surround communities. Still working on the Elkhart and Goshen documents but attached are the Shipshewana and Nappanee.

Jim

Attachments

• nappanee.pdf
    155.6 KB · Views: 10
  • shipshewana.pdf
    157.9 KB · Views: 11

mrcomer

Updated information

Please see the first thread as I have updated the information there. We have locked down the campground and have started an agenda. Again, if you all could either email me or PM me with the names of all that will be attending I would really appreciate it.

I am really getting excited about this rally. Right now I am looking out the window and all I see is snow. We just got pounded with snow,sleet and rain all day yesterday and this morning. I called off work and am ready for warmer weather.

Thank you all,
Mark

Attachments

• 100_0044.JPG
    100_0044.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 10