50 Amp cable door

steves

We went camping this weekend. After hooking up the to the 50amp box, I went to adjust the cable. I picked it up and moved it over about a foot. The next thing I heard was a “snap” . I looked over and the door for the 50amp cable storage had snapped into two pieces. I didn’t pull on it that hard, but it was cold outside. IAfter looking at the cable door, and taking into consideration the weight of the cable. It might be a good idea to add a couple of steel supports to the door which would be very simple to do and avoid this from happening to others. I am assuming this isn't covered by waranty.

Thanks,

Steve

motoflash

Come on Heartland, why do you put such a cheesie plastic door in a place where it's bound to get broken. I don't even close my door when I'm hooked to 50 amp service. How much extra can it cost to put a quality item in place of cheap plastic?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't have the power cable retracting option on my Bighorn. I have seen it though and agree it's weak. I would assume though that you shouldn't close the door on the cable until it's in place...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I agree that this is a very weak point on the Landmark. I'm very careful with mine, but can see where it would be very easy to break it. Good idea on reinforcing the door. I would call Customer Service - you might be surprised by the response.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I don't have the power cable retracting option on my Bighorn. I have seen it though and agree it's weak. I would assume though that you shouldn't close the door on the cable until it's in place...

That is exactly what I do. Never move the cord unless the dorr is open and out of the way.

Northern Virginia
I Have been very careful with mine as well but agree that the door is too cheesy for such a heavy cord. I think mine will break too in the next year or so. I think it already has a small crack.

John

K

karykatz

I appreciate all the input from everyone. We will take another look at the door.

Pizzaguy

We really love our BH, but I hope the factory has plenty spare doors on hand because they are not heavy enough for the job.I hope there is a better replacement soon.
Ours did make it thru the first full camping season, but who knows how much longer.

RollingHome

Here I go again... Guys, the 50 amp doors are after market junk... ALL the OEM's use the same junk. It's not HL's fault, all the other OEM's use the same junk too because no one else makes the junk. I paid extra for the 50 amp electric cord reel and it is a POS ! I have to be ginger and handle it with kid gloves... It cost an extra $200.00 bucks. It should have cost $1,000.00 more which I would not have paid... In the end if we were charged what we should have been charged to afford what we could not afford we'd all be home wishing we were doing what we could not afford to do... that's the reality of it all... now go take on the day ! Oh, be ginger with your POS or take out your check book :)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I appreciate all the input from everyone. We will take another look at the door.

Kary,

I support the others in recommending something stronger. Just, when "looking into it" please consider something that current owners can retro, not just fix future models.

Keith

bdb2047

The door on our Grand Canyon hinges down.I would be leary of closing door and using openings,in door, w/cable out.If it hinged from top it would not cause the door to carry weght of cable.

Northern Virginia
Here I go again... Guys, the 50 amp doors are after market junk... ALL the OEM's use the same junk. It's not HL's fault, all the other OEM's use the same junk too because no one else makes the junk. I paid extra for the 50 amp electric cord reel and it is a POS ! I have to be ginger and handle it with kid gloves... It cost an extra $200.00 bucks. It should have cost $1,000.00 more which I would not have paid... In the end if we were charged what we should have been charged to afford what we could not afford we'd all be home wishing we were doing what we could not afford to do... that's the reality of it all... now go take on the day ! Oh, be ginger with your POS or take out your check book :)

So you're saying a cord reel door that isn't a flimsy piece of plastic would cost $800?

John

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Tom, you really need to express your opinions more clearly. I have a hard time knowing where you stand on these issues. :D