2nd a/c in ordered unit

cowsrout

I had a dealer tell me that I did not need to order the option: wired & framed for 2nd a/c because it would be done anyway, that all Big Horns were wired and framed at the factory regardless, so to put that money towards another wanted option. A different dealer told me that since I was ordering the unit, it would not be done if it was not requested. Can anyone tell me if a Big Horn 3670, ordered this week would be wired or not? I did a search but did not find anything conclusive. Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I know that there were some posts regarding this topic in the past. Some people looked where the br fan is and found the wire and bracing for the second ac. If the dealer is sure it will be wired and braced have him write that on your rv purchase contract. I ordered mine with the wire and bracing for the second air and in less than a year I put the second air in. Living in MO you might just order the second air installed at the factory. When we were in MO last year were glad we had it. How ever it depends on how cool you like it.
Peace
Dave

tcbrady

Please order your unit with wire and frame for 2nd A/C if you want it on your unit.
regards, Coley

Delaine and Lindy

If your ordering a new 5th wheel , believe me you will really need to order the 2 A/C. No matter what dealerships say you will need a second A/C if you are going to spend time in a 5th wheel. I had a second A/C installed on the Landmark ($850.00 C/W) and of course the dealer said it wasn't need and that was not true. We have much better insulation than any 5th wheel we have owned and we do have the second A/C which is ducted in line with the main A/C. The system is call zone 1 and zone 2 cooling and each has its own thermostat. You will have a back up system if one goes out. GBY...

Admin Notes:
"We have much better insulation than any 5th wheel we have owned and we do have the second A/C which is ducted in line with the main A/C." - This is their current RV - not on their Heartland - Our second AC is a downdraft model.

Your RVing locale and your own comfort will dictate whether you need 2 ACs or not. Most people get by with 1. Some of us prefer 2. One must weigh their own variables/needs. Ordering with the 2nd AC prewire is a nice "plan ahead" item.

Admin

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Ours is wired for 2nd AC, but so far we haven't needed one. When it gets hot here, (and 115 isn't out of the ordinary) we head for cooler locales for camping.
Our single AC seems to work really well up to about 100 degrees. We don't have much humidity either here or in OR though, and I think that makes a major difference in the cooling capacity.

boatdoc

cowsrout, I would suggest if you have any questions about your unit you ask them here, NOT the dealership or sales guys. You will get a much better answer here as we have all been down the same road as you are going now. Take whatever they say with a grain of salt and come back here and post it. That is what this forum is all about ands these folks know their stuff when it comes to Heartland products.
You will find that when you go back to the dealer you know much more about your new rig then they do.
Don't be afraid, ASK away!!!!!!

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
cowsrout, I echo earlier responses to needing a second A/C if you travel much in the south...plan ahead and get it now. Living in the deep south as I do, it has been very nice to have the second A/C.

Something to think about: I installed the 15,000 BTU Carrier AirV Heatpump w/optional heat strip as my second unit. It actually cools better than the factory installed unt and uses less electricity, just in case you are in a metered campground. Also, in cold weather I turn on the Heatpump and it keeps the coach nice and warm during the day saving me big $$$ on propane. At night if the temps really dip below freezing, I just turn on a couple small electric heaters to supplement and stay nice and cozy. I only use the propane furnace when shore power is not available.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My opinion is that it does not matter where you live, you are subject to get 90 plus degrees in the summer. With that said, one AC will not cool you RV to a comfortable level. Spend the extra money and get the second AC with the heat strip. It will also make you unit more sellable at trade in or sale time.

cowsrout

cowsrout

Thank you everyone for all the advice. This is such a major purchase for us and and I want to get it right the first time. There are no "do overs". This is our first fifth wheel, I've been investigating RV's for over 2 months and we are now ready to order. We decided on a Heartland product and really like the Bighorn 3670. We are going to be traveling and living in it for 10 months out of 12, while working. We signed up with a company that will transfer us from one job to another as needed. We are electricians. Looking forward to being part of the Heartland Family. Thank you all again for your responses - I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

RSIG

I would suggest you purchase the second A/C when you order the fifth wheel. I have a 09 3670 and if I lived in the west or southern part of the country I would have ordered the second A/C. Living in the Northeast there was no need for the second unit. When we start traveling more I may add the second unit. You will really like the 3670. Good luck.

Last edited:

cmart

I had to add the 2nd A/C after I made the purchase. Order the 2nd A/C with the unit if its not to late. One is not enough to keep a Bighorn super cool in hot weather. I got the heat strip on the second unit but its so loud its not worth the effort, and wally world sells a great little electric job thats very quite and I think puts out more heat.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Second air a no-brainer!

We had one installed at the dealer. In fact, we ordered a Penguin (low-profile) for the bedroom, and we swapped out the back A/C for a Penguin as well. We store our Bighorn 3055 under a carport, and it is only 13 ft high underneath, so every inch counts. You wouldn't be happy with one A/C. Believe me. This is our second fifth-wheel, and we had two A/C's in our 32 footer. This one is 35'5", so of course, we got the second air.
Good luck. We are hear to share our experiences with you. Never hesitate asking.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We lived in the Dallas area before going fulltime and have our family in the area. When we bought our Bighorn we had the 2nd A/C installed in the bedroom. The Penguin is not ducted or have a remote thermostat. It works well but is quite loud. We don't mind the loudness because it gives us a white noise that blocks out a lot of traffic and local noise in RV parks.

We have use the A/C in the bedroom even when the temperature is cool. Our Bighorn is insulated enough that if you close the bedroom slide door the bedroom temperature will be fairly warm by about 3 or 4 in the morning.

Make sure what you buy is prewired or go on and add the 2nd A/C. You never know where you may be sent to work.

BTW.. LIke your screen name COWSROUT !!!!

cowsrout

You never know where you may be sent to work.

BTW.. LIke your screen name COWSROUT !!!!

Thank you, TXBobcat. I hope we get sent somewhere to work - gotta pay for this Big Horn order some how!

We used to have a few cows; husband worked all day in town, and of course when he was gone is when those stupid cows would get out! If they aren't on my plate, I do not like cows.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the advice and input. I've been reading and learning for a couple months. Lots of good information here.

Karen

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We are pre-wired for the 2nd AC for the bedroom and wanted advice on which mfgr, model and size, and BTU with heat strip is recommended for a 3400RE. We have already did the "tent in the vent" and it works well enough, but if we plan on travelling in the hot summer months, I would like to have a quiet, AC for the comfort. I would also like to know what is the purpose of the heat strip? And finally, if you use both AC's do you need a 50 Amp outlet?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the DuoTherm low profile. Dont have the heat strip but I believe it is 13500 BTU AC. Look for a low profile because it will not add any additional height to the coach.

cowsrout

We have already did the "tent in the vent" and it works well enough, but if we plan on travelling in the hot summer months, I would like to have a quiet, AC for the comfort.

Since I am new to all of this, I have to ask - what is "tent in the vent?" I have no idea. I was also wondering about the heat strip myself.

cowsrout

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since I am new to all of this, I have to ask - what is "tent in the vent?" I have no idea. I was also wondering about the heat strip myself.

cowsrout
Cowsrout, HERE is a link for a tent in a vent mod by TIMK. I did a search and found a post by Jim Beletti. Here's a link to a post I made with a few pictures The mod is a simple addition of a tin, or cardboard, air flow diverter that makes the flow of cold air more efficient. Everyone that tried it seems to have noticed an improvement.
Peace
Dave

cowsrout

Cowsrout, HERE is a link for a tent in a vent mod by TIMK. I did a search and found a post by Jim Beletti. Here's a link to a post I made with a few pictures ...
Peace
Dave

Dave, I can't get the link to work, I may be doing something wrong since I am not internet smart, but when I click on the line or put my mouse over it - I get nothing. I really would like to see it.
Thanks,
cowsrout
Karen