blown breaker/GFI

soilmovers

This morning, I had a small heater running in the kitchen for an hour or so.

When it quit running, I noticed the GFI in the bathroom had popped and also the breaker in the panel box.

I unplugged the heater and moved it to a different outlet. It has been running fine.

The breaker switch and the GFI will not reset.

Any ideas?

thanks, Cindy

beardedone

Beardedone
I have had that happen before and discovered that if I hit the test button and then reset button on the GFCI it would reset. If that does not work make sure you have pushed the circuit breaker all the way to the off position and then flip it to the on position. When circuit breakers see a fault the switch may only move part way to the full off position, but that is all that is needed to interrupt power. Simply push it further to the off position and then reactivate. Also, sometimes the switch will appear to be in the full off position but it still needs to be pushed further to complete the reset.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Soilmovers, leave the GFI tripped then turn the breaker to the off position then turn it back on. Then reset your GFI. I think the GFI protected recepticles include the kitchen, bath and outdoor. Be sure you are not overloading the circuit. I believe it's 15 amp. I added a 20 amp circuit to the kitchen to avoid nuisance trips when the coffee pot, toaster and hair drier are all on at the same time. If you still get trips check for a short in the circuit. For your safety be sure to unplug the coach before checking.
Peace
Dave

soilmovers

Thanks, guys! I guess I get too anxious when it comes to electrical problems. It reset this time.

I think moving up to a 20 amp for the kitchen is a great idea. I'll add it to the list!

Happy Thanksgiving from Texas!

Cindy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Cookie, what size wiring is in the coach. IMHO, I dont think I would install a higher amp breaker unless the wiring was at least 12-2. Bob:D

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Cookie, what size wiring is in the coach. IMHO, I dont think I would install a higher amp breaker unless the wiring was at least 12-2. Bob:D

Ditto that. From what I have seen, all the 120v wiring in my coach is 14/2 and I suspect it is that in all Heartland's products, as well as all others. Using a 20A breaker is not wise....IMHO also, and speaking from experience.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, when I installed my Progressive Electrical Management System and I was in the service panel, I installed a duplex 20 amp breaker. Then I ran a 12/2 w/ground from one side of that breaker in, under and and around everything to get to the kitchen cabinet. There I installed, using a GFI, two 20amp recepticles. All recepticles are GFI protected. So what I now have is the origional 15amp circuit which is GFI protected from the bath recepticle, and an 20amp GFI protected circuit. If anyone decides to make a mod like this you must know and understand elecrical wiring and read and understand the NEC book. In an extreme case, incorrect wiring could turn your coach frame into a live wire. If unsure seek professional help. DW tells me that a lot. :)
Peace
Dave

Last edited:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Electrical wiring

You definitely don't want a 20A on #14 wire. One way to tell - #14 romex has a white covering, #12 is yellow, #10 is orange. :cool:

GFCI receptacles will not reset until power from the breaker has been restored. Just the way they are designed. :confused:

I've been reading the NEC for 25 years and some of it still baffles me! :D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
In an extreme case, incorrect wiring could turn your coach frame into a live wire.
Peace
Dave

The trailer frame is the mother of all things electric. What a lot of people don't realize is that "Earth, Ground, White wire, Green wire and frame" are all the same. Should your pedestal power be wired incorrectly...your trailer can become a science project all to easily.

I rewired my old Airstream to 50 amp....changed all the outlets to three prong...split the trailer between 4 breakers...and made provisions for the installation of a washer and dryer.

I completed all the internal work. Jumped out the door...went around and moved the plug from the 30amp to the 50amp outlet. Turned the breakers back on...and went into the trailer with a sense of triumph.

When I grabbed the door handle, I found myself 50 feet away on my dazed butt. My eyes were crossed...and there was a strong smell of burned hair in the breeze.

Went back around...changed the plugs...powered up...and THIS TIME...used my voltmeter to read the voltage between the aluminium to ground...and I mean d-i-r-t. Nothing. Changed over to the 50 amp plug. The time the old voltmeter read 120 volts from frame to ground. A disassembly of the pedestal showed that the 50 amp plug had two hots, no ground, no return. In other words, my trailer was the hot...and my fanny was the ground. Now THAT is a dangerous situation. Also, explained why I initially thought the 50 amp outlet was dead.

I remained on my 30 amp feed until I left the park. A lot of people complained that they had no 50 amp service....wonder why.....

Nothing like a 7200 pound buss. Just remember to keep one (1) of your jacks on dirt so that your time on earth might be long.:confused::mad::p:eek::D

RVFun4Us

Heater, GFCI, Breaker Problems

I have a 12.5 amp electric heater that has worked fine until a few days ago. I had it plugged into a GFCI plug in the kitchen. Wife noticed that the GFCI receptacle in the bathroom was smelling hot. Sure enought, I felt it and it was hot. So I unplugged the heater. The GFCI never did trip, it just felt hot. So then I plugged the heater into one of the slide plugs and it tripped the slide breaker. Reset and tried again and it tripped again. Had the TV and fireplace on at the same time so may have overloaded based on that but like I said, never had a problem before. Anyone with a similar problem?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
RVFun4Us, I would check for a loose wire connection at the GFCI. If there is a loose connection it could arc and cause it to heat up. Be sure to disconnect your coach from shore power, and turn off the main breaker for safety before doing this. As far as blowing the slide breaker, if your heater draws 12.5 amps, and the FP draws probably in the 10 to 15 amp range, I don't know for sure, but that combination would overload any circuit you have in your coach. Good luck with that and keep us informed of your findings.
Peace
Dave