How much room?

nscaler2

We currently have a Ford F350 Super Cab with long bed. We are truely newbees and are considering purchasing a Bighorn 3055rl. The specs on Heartland's site says that it is 33'7" long. We live on a cauldesac that is 75 feet in diameter. We have plenty of room in our double driveway for it, however we don't know if we will be able to tow the rig around the cauldesac circle in order to get to our driveway. Or, should we rent a spot to park it somehwere else? I know this sounds dumb. Like I said, we are newbees. Thanks for the advise in advance.

Tom & Bobbi K
Ford F350 Super Cab PS longbed

Last edited:

jbeletti

Hi Tom and Bobbi,

Welcome to the forum. While I have no first-hand cul-de-sac experience pulling a trailer, I may be able to suggest another option.

Jeff Torsrud, the founder of this forum lives on a cul-de-sac. When he owned a Heartland Golden Gate, what he would do is back down the street and into his driveway.

This was a pretty long block to back down but he was good at it. Luckily, his driveway was at the end of that road in the center of the cul-de-sac. Still though, once backed down to the circle, one should have plenty of room to crank the rear of the trailer into other positions around the circle.

Not sure the road leading to your cul-de-sac makes sense to back down. If it is, you'll want to practice your backing technique in a large open parking lot.

It took me quite a while to really improve my backing skills. I just hope it all comes back to me when I hook up to the unit for the first time this April!

Best of luck to you,

Jim

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Tom & Bobbi,

The first question is: Can you turn the truck in the cul-de-sac without having to back up. If the truck will make the turn, the camper will follow just turning a shorter radius. That said, even if the truck will not make the turn, backing up part way into the trun to start a jack-knife you can get a very sharp truck to camper angle especially with the long bed. It will be quite hard on tires but may be very possible. I watched an 18 wheeler do the same in the cul-de-sac on my street.
Phil

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Nscaler2
Pulling the bighorm with a long bed truck should give you even more clearance to make the turn in your cul de sac. I pull a 38 foot Grand Canyon and made a turn around in the cul de sac at the end of the complex where I use to live. It will probably be difficult to back into your space if it on one side and not in line with the road, but with a little practice you should be able to make it.

nscaler2

Sounds good

Sounds like good news. I think Phil hit the nail on the head. We have no problem driving the truck around the cauldesac, and we live at the very end of the caludesac at the very end of the street. So, in theory we should be able to turn the trailer in the circle and back it into our driveway. Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

Tom and Bobbi

ChopperBill

Good reading. I also live on a cul de sac but in the middle. I am concerned about turning around in it also. Trouble is all the neighbors on the end park diagonally in front of their homes. I guess it is possible to pull up just past the drive and back on in. Never pulled a fiver and am not to good at backing up our ATV trailer with the TC on the truck. Could get scary!

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

C.Bill, I think you will find backing in a 5ver is easier than backing in a small trailer. The small trailer has a short tongue allowing it to get into a jacknife situation fairly easy while backing up. I would much rather back a 5ver than a travel trailer or a small utility trailer or camper, of course I drove trucks for most of my life.