what to do??

Bobbert

The weather closed in(below freezing and snow) before I could wash and cover. New Northtrail is dirty and snow covered. New cover(still in box) says make sure unit is clean before covering. Only have 10 days before departing for winter and 10 day weather shows no break!! Do I cover dirty or better to leave it uncovered?? Help please!! Bob

jbeletti

I'd leave it uncovered this next 10 days. If you have grit and grime, the it could be abrasive and the cover could help move that grit and grime around.

This, coming from a person who does not cover his 5er. Best to get more feedback.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

As a former Michigander who never covered a trailer I would leave it uncovered. You will most likely hit inclimate weather on your way to your winter destination. Get your rig cleaned real good when you get there.

davelinde

It's not clear if you are taking your rig with you or leaving it in Michigan?

No matter... another vote not to cover. Then again I've never covered mine.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
If you are taking your rig south, I would leave it uncovered and then, stop at a truck wash on the way and get it washed and a wax treatment. I use the Blue Beacon truck wash all the time and it only costs $42.00 for truck and trailer. You can go on line and find the location for one and they are always near a truck stop.

Bobbert

Thank you for your responses. I did not state clearly that I am wintering in Florida. My poor North Trail is staying in the harsh Michigan. I am leaning toward leaving it uncovered.
If that is the case, do I need to at least cover the roof air unit?? Thank you all, Bob

SmokeyBare

Bob,

Might be you can locate inside storage... We used to store our Fifth Wheel in a Fair Grounds Building... when we lived in Ohio. They rented the buildings out for inside storage winter months while the fair grounds were not being used. They required them out of the buildings by end of April or first of May...

Check out the local fair grounds in your area.

jpmorgan37

When I lived in Minnesota, I did both, covered and uncovered. I had some really nasty stuff grow on my fiver when I covered it for 7 months. Leave it uncovered. Now, here is another issue. What about snow load? With you being in FL and the poor North Trail in MI, what will happen if you get 3 feet of wet snow on the roof? Go find some inside storage like Marv suggested.

John

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
When I lived in Minnesota, I did both, covered and uncovered. I had some really nasty stuff grow on my fiver when I covered it for 7 months. Leave it uncovered. Now, here is another issue. What about snow load? With you being in FL and the poor North Trail in MI, what will happen if you get 3 feet of wet snow on the roof? Go find some inside storage like Marv suggested.

John

The snow load should not be a real problem. I got pictures of my Airstream buried in the snow...it looked like an igloo.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the cover is still in the box, send it back for a refund. We stored our Forest River trailer out in the open during the winter (a few miles north of you) and didn't cover anything. No problems. I did install the Maxi-air covers on the vents, though. More to keep bugs and debris out and to allow leaving the vents open in the rain. If it's just road dirt and dust, it'll wash off next spring if you don't get to it. Heck, rain and melting snow will get most of it. Tree sap will require elbow grease or a gently applied power wash. We really don't get three feet of snow around here at any one time, but storing it with the nose elevated above or below level will help slide it off.

jpmorgan37

Bob:

I wouldn't worry about it. They make covers for them but the worst problems with the A/C are not in the winter, but in warmer weather with mud daubers and other critters.

John