Yokohama Tires for the 2013 Ram 1500 Load Range E

Y'all probably know that the Ram 1500's come equipped with P rated tires, or passenger tires. Well I am towing my 2009 Sundance Ultra Light XLT 287RL with ours. The Sundance is listed as 6300 Lbs unloaded weight, and we will probably only go to a max of 7500 when loaded. Only carry about 20 Gallons of fresh water, and black and gray always empty.

I have upgraded the Ram with Air Lift 5000's, although it sets level with the sundance on its back ready to go with only 10 lbs of air in the bags. So I am thinking of pitching the stock load range tires and installing load range E tires just to be on the safe side. I know the tires will be over rated for the truck and would not increase the trucks rated load carrying capacity. But the added weight carrying capacity of the tires vice the passenger tires would ease my mind.

So, am I wasting money or is it a good move, what do you think.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The 7500 lbs. pulling weight is not the load you will have on the tires. Unless you front load the trailer with gold bullion, the hitch weight will be less than 1000 lbs. Use the hitch weight in your calculations, not the total weight of the trailer.

Even if the tires are P-metric, there should be inflation load range info molded on the sidewalls. Check that out, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help you make your decision. LT or P-metric.

Peace
Dave

Hey Dave, thanks so much. That's a great read and an education! Made my mind up, I think it's gonna be Yokohama mommas on my Ram. Those P metrics just aren't designed for the task I have asked them to perform, even though I punched the air pressure up to 40 lbs, just shy of max at 44.

So so either today or tomorrow gonna get those E load rated tires installed.

thanks again
Jim

The 7500 lbs. pulling weight is not the load you will have on the tires. Unless you front load the trailer with gold bullion, the hitch weight will be less than 1000 lbs. Use the hitch weight in your calculations, not the total weight of the trailer.

Even if the tires are P-metric, there should be inflation load range info molded on the sidewalls. Check that out, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks John, yes that's why I stepped the air pressure up from 33 lbs to 40, 44 being the max air pressure under max load on the tires sidewall. What Dave sent me really made up my mind to go with the E load rated tires. The sidewalls are much stiffer, harder ride, but less flex equals greater control.

So gonna be off to the tire store shortly :)

mlpeloquin

The rims should have the pressure and load rating that they were designed for stamped someplace on the inside of the rim.

CDN

B and B
I put LT on my F 150 to get rid of the squirmy P Series. I used stock rims and ran at 60 PSI as this was max rating for stock rims. Handled like a dream with my 1900 lbs of pin weight on 32 ft SB fiver..

Hey Y'all back from the tire store, sans wallet :) Now the proud owner of 4 LT285 55 R20 Load range E tires Yokohama Mammas, Geolander A/T. Aired to 65PSI, ride is a little sharper, but my mind will be at rest knowing I have new tires, and tires that can carry the load.

So thanks everyone for all the responses, helped a lot.

Jim

Just how much weight you are putting on them matters. You will wear the center out, have a harder ride, and less grip than you should. Here is the exact load/Pressure chart for your tire: https://tirepressure.com/lt285-55r20-tire-pressure I add five PSI to the minimum required pressure. Your ride will be better.

Boy you guys, and gals sure amaze me. I just printed that table, Marc, its going in my glove box. I can see I may need to bleed down to about 50Lbs, as I don't think at this time my unloaded weight would be anywhere near 2835 per tire :) I haven't had the opportunity to weigh the unit unloaded yet, but will in the next day or so and adjust accordingly. Then when we hook up the trailer for the first trip and she is loaded, first stop will be at a CAT scale.

I also saved that chart into my document folder so I know where to get another copy in case I lose this one. Thanks again, hope to meet you all at a Rally soon. Going to the one in Danville Mo in May, already made reservations, can't wait.
Jim