GM See Through Trailer Camera

BudBacker

Anyone have a newer Chev or GMC with the rear "see through trailer" camera set up? I just bought a GMC and from reading about the system it sounds like it requires the camera to be mounted near the middle (vertical and horizontal) of the trailer, not at the top of the pre-made mount. Would like to hear if anyone is using this system with the camera mounted at the top of trailer and how it's working. Thanks.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Anyone have a newer Chev or GMC with the rear "see through trailer" camera set up? I just bought a GMC and from reading about the system it sounds like it requires the camera to be mounted near the middle (vertical and horizontal) of the trailer, not at the top of the pre-made mount. Would like to hear if anyone is using this system with the camera mounted at the top of trailer and how it's working. Thanks.

Did your GMC come with the trailer camera for the trailer? The 2020 trucks I looked at buying did not have the trailer camera and to get camera for the trailer it seemed like you had to order the truck from factory with the camera system to work.
Several dealers seemed convinced this was case too.

falk1rk

I have the new 2020 HD with the camera system but I have yet to buy the camera for the trailer (still doing my research). Based on several GM forums that I follow the invisible view will not work with a 5th wheel. It uses the rear view camera on the tailgate as part of the image and since the 5th wheel is so close it won't work. The rear view camera image from the trailer will still work,but the invisible view won't. Those that have a pull behind and have mounted the camera in the specified location seem to have good luck but mounting the camera high even on a pull behind causes problems with the system being able to stitch the image together.

BudBacker

Did your GMC come with the trailer camera for the trailer? The 2020 trucks I looked at buying did not have the trailer camera and to get camera for the trailer it seemed like you had to order the truck from factory with the camera system to work.
Several dealers seemed convinced this was case too.

GMC has a camera available as an accessory. It didn't come with the truck, and it's 5 or 600 bucks. The truck is set to use it, just need to add the camera. My concern is that the installation instructions make it sound like it needs to be mounted about 4 or 5 feet above ground level, rather than at the top of the trailer where Heartland had the set up for adding a camera.

https://accessories.gmc.com/product...ngineId=17460&bodyNumDoors=5&categoryId=98064

- - - Updated - - -

I have the new 2020 HD with the camera system but I have yet to buy the camera for the trailer (still doing my research). Based on several GM forums that I follow the invisible view will not work with a 5th wheel. It uses the rear view camera on the tailgate as part of the image and since the 5th wheel is so close it won't work. The rear view camera image from the trailer will still work,but the invisible view won't. Those that have a pull behind and have mounted the camera in the specified location seem to have good luck but mounting the camera high even on a pull behind causes problems with the system being able to stitch the image together.

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of with mounting the camera at the top of the trailer, is that it could muck up the stitching affect.

danemayer

Before buying a camera, I'd suggest checking to see if there are any limitations on trailer length and width.