Black-water ventilation

sosuzguy

Hello,

I wanted to research a problem we are having with our Heartland 29RLS. We keep getting the black-water smell inside the camper, but only after flushing. Sometimes when flushing the toilet (310 model) it will burp then the bowl contents goes down. A few months ago we looked down the vent pipe, didn't see a blockage at that time. Shouldn't this black water system be ventilating better or at least force the pressure out the vent pipe when it is flushed instead of burping in the toilet bowl? Thanks, I will be interested in finding a solution to the black water smell.

Jay

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your getting a burping when flushing the toilet it can be a symptom of a blockage between the toilet and the tank.
Do your best to ensure that pipe is not plugged, snake, forced water from a garden hose or combination of the two.
How old is your camper and do you keep the black water tank valve closed other then when dumping?

Peace
Dave

sosuzguy

Thank you for your reply. It is not blocked between the toilet and tank, we can see directly down into the tank while the flush ball valve is held open. It is sounding more and more like a blockage in the vent pipe.

The camper is a 2009 model and the black-water drain valve is always closed unless we are using the macerator.

sosuzguy

Thank you for your response. Yes the valve is kept closed unless we are using the mascerator. There is no blockage between the commode and the tank, as we can see directly down into it when the flush valve is held open.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, if you suspect blockage in the vent you might take a garden hose up on the roof and while someone holds the toilet flush valve open try flushing the vent pipe using the garden hose water.
You will need the toilet valve open for ventilating to release any pressure from the garden hose water.
That's all I got. :confused:

Peace
Dave

Lou_and_Bette

Ours “burps” when it is time to dump. This is caused by the fluid level being high enough to block the vent pipe opening. This is the indicator that many use to determine their tank is full because the sensors are notoriously wrong. So, with that in mind, you either need to dump, despite what your indicator lights show, have a blockage in the vent pipe, or your vent pipe has slipped down further into the tank. Easiest check would be to dump and see if the toilet burps after. Next would be to pull the roof cap for the vent and make sure you can see the pipe at or above the roof level. Third, flush some water down the vent to make sure it is clear. Good luck.

Gary521

One mistake a lot of folks make it that they do not use a sufficient amount of water in the flush and black tank. Sufficient water will help with the emptying of the tank, preventing accumulation of solid waste and keeping down odor. When I detect the tank odor a bit, I know it time to drain the tank and start over.
If you have not been up on the roof, now is the time to do it and check the vent system up there.

sengli

There is always the vent pipe, could have become dis-connected behind a wall on its way from the tank to the roof. They often dont run a one piece of PVC pipe all the way from the tank to the roof vent. Several threads on here have been about people finding the coupling has become dis-connected some where. Luckily we have ever had such a thing.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We just found that our vent pipe was broken at a coupling. Mark fixed the pipe, cleaned everything up and replaced the insulation yesterday and today. Just another one of those things that can happen when you are bouncing down the road.
Kristy