Dometic Refrigerator

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
We are camping for T.G. I notice water on the floor/carpet. We opened the louvered door underneath the frig. All wet. The louver door is warped (particle board) and saturated. We went outside and found that the hose to the icemaker has a hole in it and is leaking. All wet in that area too. I called for service dept, closed due to T.G. Dealer closed. I called another dealer near here, they referred me to a mobile repairman. He is on the way. This is my first "problem". I sure hope Heartland will stand behind their product. This frig is also on the recall list, and the man will put the safety fix.

All done. The tubing was touching the element which caused it to melt - thus the water leak all over the place.

The shutoff valve is in the big bay behind a panel that opens up on the driver's side. We'll be shutting it down. The icemaker doesn't work well anyway.

Back to having fun.

Tankie

goldenbetty, we had a hole in that same line ours was in the basement by hot water heater. If you open up that panel in the basement there is a shut off for that line.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Refrigerator leak

The mobile repairman showed me the door (camouflaged):). How come the dealer didn't tell us about that?

All is fixed. He even did the fix on the recall on the frige.

Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess I have to eat a little crow. Now I've heard of 4 on the forum if you include Tom and Tankie. I think Jim B. monitors most if not all posts and maybe he can bring this to the attention of the factory to do a better job of securing the ice maker supply line. Thanks everyone for your posts.

Tankie

Jim, our leak happened where the line goes between the furnace and hot water heater. It must be known that we had our fridge replaced in CA. and and our leak appeared when we arrived in WA. about 3 weeks after it was replaced, not sure if line got pulled up against wood then rubbed or what. I spliced it and plan to put wire loom around line so it can't rub as it passes through that area. I am just glad there was a shut off which I found when looking for the leak. Hope this information helps, Tankie

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Heartland

I took pictures of the damage done, and I will be calling Heartland come Monday morning. I had to pay a $75.00 travel fee, but the repairman did the recall "fix", we filled out the paperwork, and he will submit for reimbursement from Dometic. I guess you could say we got two birds with one stone. Through all of it, one great thing - we now know a very good mobile repair man.;)

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Update!

I have been in touch with Steve Kennell at Heartland. He has approved reimbursement of our $75.00 travel fee, and he will replace the damaged louvers under the refrigerator.

This outcome is exactly why we bought HEARTLAND. What more could we ask for.