Buying new - anyone had experience customizing?

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Hi, all -

I'm looking at a 3670RL and the price looks pretty good, but if I'd had my druthers, I'd really like to change a couple of things. In particular:

• Hardwood/synthetic hardwood floor in the main area instead of carpet (I know - the slidouts have to be carpeted and the floor has to be protected on the slideout runs.
  • Lose the TVs and the fireplace. I'd rather have a nice big desk and maybe a file cabinet instead of a TV.
  • Lose the recliners. Well, maybe one...
  • Queen sized bed.
  • Bigger reefer (actually, I have a second question about that...)
So, the bed and the reefer are pretty much standard options, but the floor and the slideout space conversion is another matter. And, I have a couple of other things I'd like to do vis-a-vis cable runs for projector/screen setup idea I have floating around in my head.

Has anyone done this kind of thing, or made mods after the fact that didn't look bad (like open screw holes, depressions where things used to be, etc.?) How amenable was the dealer/factory to making mods/leaving things out/making minor mods?

And, of course, how does it affect the price point? RV's seem to be priced as 'lowest common denominator' packages. This one, for instance, has the central vac, dual pane windows, second A/C, generator prep. And really, they're pretty nice. At $53K, it seems like a pretty reasonable deal, esp with the aforementioned extras.

Always compromises...

HappyKayakers

When we custom ordered our BH, the dealer was all smiles. "Sure, we can do that for you." When the 5er arrived, the only things they got right were the bed and reefer sizes. Neither the dealer nor the factory would show us the order that was faxed in by the dealer. Unfortunately, we had painted ourselves into a corner as far as living arrangements go, so we accepted the RV anyway.
If you're going to custom order, insist that you see what gets faxed to Heartland and insist on a reply about what's doable and what isn't.