Reefer size question

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Got a question regarding reefer options:

The reefer that comes in the prospective unit I'm looking at is the 'standard' 80cu ft model. Seems kind of small. We like to cook.

The dealer suggests the 90cu ft model adds more space, but then a lot of the new space is taken up with the ice maker, so it isn't really useful.

The quad-door looks cool. Expensive. Probably expensive to run, too.

Can the ice maker be removed on the 90 to free up some space? (As an aside, why you need an ice maker on an RV is beyond me, but different strokes and all.. I'd rather have a garbage disposal :) )

Thoughts?

Thanx.

rjr6150

Can't speak for anyone else we ordered with the larger 9 Cu Ft refer and ice maker. After 8 months of use will be taking the ice maker out next spring. Feel it takes up valuable freezer space at least for us.

SmokeyBare

Rick,

When we ordered our BigHorn... I wondered the same... till I stopped at a Camping world... with a tape measure in hand... I was disappointed at the very little difference between the 8 and the 9 Cubic Foot Refrigerators. It was very little additional space... for the price.

We full time, and yes a larger box would come in handy. We decided that should we want more space... I will put a small dorm style refrigerator in the space where the Washer/Dryer would go. They can be bought at a very good price... would weigh no more loaded than I would guess the washer would. You could also put in a small Freezer in that space... if that would be something you wanted.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the 10 cu.ft. fridge with the ice maker. Being full time, we couldn't do without an ice maker so we have a 3.2 ft freezer where the w/d goes.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We are very happy with the 8 cu. ft reefer ourselves. When I saw reefer, it reminded me of the 60's! LOL We are also considering putting a ice making freezer in the w/d location.