underneath

jaawalke

When I went to the dealer to finalize the paperwork on my Bighorn he informed me it had arrived.It was a little different then I ordered but that was ok. I was checking it out when they were prepping it and noticed that the black plastic that is covering theunderneath on my trailer was cut up in several areas. I ask about it and was told it had to be done to set it up. My problem is since I got it those cut areas have been taped up and are not holding I brought it back and they fixed it only to happen again. Is there any way to seal up this material so ir stays sealed up. Everytime I go on a trip there is tape hanging off of my trailer. Has anyone else had this problem?

BluegrassMan

Hi jaawalke:
My first thought after reading this was, what was inside the underbelly that they had to cut to get to ??? I don't know of any holes in my trailer to "set up".
The dealer should still have the black material that they cut out. Using Black RTV silicone around the hole, the pieces could be put right back where they were. It should hold until you need to take them off to get in there. Just my thoughts.

K

Ken Washington

Hi jaawalke,
Sounds like they had to cut it open to fix a leak or to repair something. Mine never was cut and I would make them fix it even if they had to call the factory to find out how to make it right. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck! Ken

ct0218

I agree with Ken, sounds like a bogus story to me. Shouldn't have to be going in there unless there was a problem, or someone at the dealership screwed up. Heartland does a good job of sealing it which does make it tough if you have to go in there. Seems like if it was a factory defect it would be covered under warranty and fixed properly. Looks more like dealer problem.

timk

Jaawalke,
Mine had two areas opened up when we took delivery.

One was very neatly done in the back by the electric stabilizer jacks. There they cut in to get to the wires, and then simply screwed a small piece of the same material over the entire area. Nice clean repair.

The other was fixed by my dealer with tape and black silicone. Well that didn't work at all.

Just have your dealer put something above the underbelly to screw to, like a 1/4" pc of plywood or something similar. Then just screw a piece of the underbelly over the area. If they needed in before, chances are your going to need an access area sometime down the road anyway.

Its a simple repair, don't sweat it.

Happy camping
TimK