Adding another battery

bsexton

Im going to add another battery. Do I need to worry about having the additional battery vented with a hose like the oem or can I just let it vent into the generator compartment?

jimtoo

I would buy or make a vent kit and tie it in to the existing one. Those fumes are nasty, deadly, corrosive and explosive. They do not emit much but I would not take a chance.

Jim M

davelinde

a battery upgrade is on my list.

I intend to get a new box and re-use the existing vent. I've had a battery boil over before and the acid/fumes are very corrosive.

My remaining question is if I go with 2-12V, 2-6V or 4-6V.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Im going to add another battery. Do I need to worry about having the additional battery vented with a hose like the oem or can I just let it vent into the generator compartment?

Depends on what type of battery you are putting in.

Smokeyfl

How concerned are you about weight? How long do you want to go before plugging in or running the genset? Golf cart batteries will give you the best bang for the buck, but are very heavy. You would need 4 6V batteries. I had this set-up on my boat and could go 4 days without running the genset. Had a 12 volt refrig and the normal lights. I think I will spring for the Optima batteries in the 5er mainly to save the weight. They also take up a lot less space. Make sure you put in a battery switch.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
How concerned are you about weight? How long do you want to go before plugging in or running the genset? Golf cart batteries will give you the best bang for the buck, but are very heavy. You would need 4 6V batteries. I had this set-up on my boat and could go 4 days without running the genset. Had a 12 volt refrig and the normal lights. I think I will spring for the Optima batteries in the 5er mainly to save the weight. They also take up a lot less space. Make sure you put in a battery switch.

The Optima is what I"m getting on my way out of here...they are sealed, don't leak..and you can mount them upside down if needed.

Had a couple on my old Airstream...marvelous inventions...but, not cheap.