Gooseneck ball + adapter + 3670RL Bighorn

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
So, I've got a truck with a killer gooseneck ball installed in it, already. Looking to get the 3670RL (which is a moderately heavy trailer - 12K dry).

I can get that all cut out and replaced with a plate, but I'm wondering if a gooseneck adapater would work?

Gooseneck ratings are pretty high - towing horses, vehicle carriers, etc. I'm thinking a concern would be the shock transmitted to the trailer? The truck's got a pretty stiff suspension (air-bags added). Is there an adapter with a suspension mechanism in it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm a real newbie in the fiver world, so any help appreciated. I'd like to really understand the issues before spending a couple of grand to get it cut out and replaced with a plate.

thanx,
rickb

geeksrus

Many manufacturers void the 5er frame warranty if using a gooseneck. I suggest you contact Heartland & Lippert to get the scoop.

Eh!

Delaine and Lindy

rickbsgu, if you happen to have a Gooseneck B&W turnover ball your in luck. You can buy a Companion 5th wheel hitch and then you can pull a 5th wheel. If not I would seek a more expert advice. Good Luck. GBY....

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
Got it. I found a few more threads on the topic - consensus (and answer from factory guy) is the warranty is voided.

I guess that 86's that idea.

thanx,
rickb

Niles

You didn't say what kind of ball hitch you have, I have a B&W type and they make a fifth wheel hitch for it called the companion, which I have and really like it. It has a pin that you take the ball hitch out and put it in then attach the hitch to it. The nice part is when you take the hitch out you have a clean bed (no hitch rails). I know there is other kinds of the turn-over ball hitch and I think they also have this kind of set-up, I'm just not familiar with them.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Rick
Take a look at the following web site. There is a hitch called the B&W Turnoverball. It is a Goose neck hitch and if you can remove the Goose Neck Ball and have a transum, you might be able to use the B&W Companion 5th Wheel hitch.

Turn over Ball
If you will look in the driverside rear wheel wall you might see the handle used to remove the Ball.

Companion

Check this site out and see if you can use the Campanion.

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
So, yeah, towing with a gooseneck adapter isn't going to happen. Problem is the current ball setup is welded right into the frame, along with the airbag support.

So, I'm going to have to have that all cut out and then have the B&W setup put in.

All I gotta say is, "ouch!" About $1200 more than I was planning to spend on this.

I hope the trailer appreciates it...

dewwood

There are fifth wheel adapters that fit right over your existing ball and are a regular fifth wheel hitch. It might take some fabricating to make it fit your gooseneck ball but it might be worth looking into. I know Putnam Hitches offers one http://www.putnamhitch.com/products_combos.html. Take a look at it and see if it could be adapted to your gooseneck. I actually have one that I never used as I got rid of that truck and my new one has a B&W.