generator will not start

chick

I am having trouble getting my 5500 Onan gen to start. I have read the problems others have had and none of them match mine. I have stableized gas getting to the carb, filling the bowl, prime pump works fine. The gen will start and run fine if I pour gas into the carb, but will only run for a few seconds. It will also keep running if I continue to spray starting fluid into the carb. I have removed and cleaned the carb, removing the bowl, cleaning the jets, etc. There is a needle valve on the bottom of the bowl with electrical leads attached, that allows gas to travel up the center tube and the needle can be pushed up and down by hand so it is not stuck. I have no way to check if it works, or if the circut is good. The local dealer is telling me I need to buy a new carb, I do not beleave that. I have been running the gen two hrs every mounth. Does any one have any ideas or advice.
Thanks
Chick Las Vegas
2008 Cyclone Toy Hauler

I don't know if this would be it but we had a problem getting ours to start and found out it was our converter. If it isn't working properly, the battery will run out of juice (which it did) and the generator will not start. Without a good converter, basically, nothing will work right. Heartland replaced our converter the first month we had our new Cyclone because of this issue.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Chick, from what you have stated it seems that the problem is that you are not getting fuel to combust from the carb. With our wonderful gasoline we have today it is not uncommon to foul carbs quickly. If you cleaned the carb, did you use a "carb cleaner"? When I have a motor that will not start, I remove any and all needle valves, first knowing where they are set, then take the straw that comes with carb cleaner and stick it in the needle valve hole and spray the dayllights out of it. That will remove the varnish that may be preventing gas flow. Always works for me. Be sure the carb cleaner has MEK and Toluene in it. These are two potent ingredients that will remove paint and can be harmful if inhalled so be careful. Also starting fluid is not a good thing to try and keep it running. I don't know what the wires are for on the bottom of your carb are for, but if I was working on this thing I would be sure it was unplugged to prevent a spark while working with gasoline. If all fails rather than a new carb, maybe a rebuild kit. Others with more experience will most likely have more ideas. Hope this might help.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I did not see where you said how old it is. If it is possible it is still in warranty then I would take it to an Onan dealer for repair. If you mess with it while it is in warranty you could invalidate the warranty.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I think your fuel line is clogged. If you can put gas in the carb and get her to fire off...it's pretty simple...no fuel.

See if you can check the fuel line. Even if you are running that "keep me happy gas". there is no guarantee that the additive got into the fuel line.
I think, that you put the additive in...and did not run the motor long enough to get the stuff into the line...the gas that's now in the line gummed up...and fouled your fuel line.

lemme know.

rideblue

OMG! The EXACT same problem I had about 2 weeks ago. Would run and run as long as the starter fluid was flowing. My problem ended up being the plunger type valve in the bottom of the float bowl. I took it completely out and cleaned it, made sure it moved freely. Then put a voltage meter on the plug that plugs into the floatbowl, turned over the engine and got 12 volts(or so) from the plug. Plugged it back in and viola! Been running fine. Make sure the tiny little holes in that brass fitting in the bottom of the bowl are open. I just blew into mine, if it'll flow air then it should flow fuel. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

viking4545

Check the fuel pump, heard that Onan had a bad run of pumps, mine included. Once replaced, runs like a champ.