PDA

View Full Version : Loving my CheapHeat!

bhall
03-21-2020, 10:03 AM
I would like to thank Larry from Rv comfort systems for the awesome product and teaming up with heartland owners to offer a discount which was greatly appreciated! I have been using this system for about a month now and am still amazed at the consistent reliable heat this system puts out, thank you!!! I have opened up a public post on my facebook of my install if anyone would like to view take a look at the link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=611633149684094&id=100025122440411

CheapHeat
03-21-2020, 12:14 PM
I would like to thank Larry from Rv comfort systems for the awesome product and teaming up with heartland owners to offer a discount which was greatly appreciated! I have been using this system for about a month now and am still amazed at the consistent reliable heat this system puts out, thank you!!! I have opened up a public post on my facebook of my install if anyone would like to view take a look at the link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=611633149684094&id=100025122440411
Thank you for all of the kind words. I appreciate all of the support the Heartland Owners Club have given us as we work to make this an industry standard in the future.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn
03-21-2020, 02:18 PM
Thank you for all of the kind words. I appreciate all of the support the Heartland Owners Club have given us as we work to make this an industry standard in the future.

Great to hear you are liking it. I was given a cheapheat system by some wonderful friends. So now I need to install it. I guess sense we are on lock down I might as well do the install myself. I my need a few tips when I get into it.

Jerrod

"Hi-Viz" Bill
03-21-2020, 02:33 PM
I too, took advantage of the Cheapheat partnership with the HOC, just before Christmas .. I installed it myself over the span of 7-8 days while 'snow birding' here in AZ. I energized the system on New Years Eve & HAVE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT SINCE !!!! .. I did have to re-route water lines to make room the the plenum addition to the furnace !! .. All in all, a relatively easy install !!! The worst part was being 'crouched' in the 'basement' while re-routing the Pex lines!!

And, Larry was only a phone call away, if I had any questions.

It has been running FLAWLESSLY, for 2-1/2 months now, and seriously, is one of the BEST investments we've made for our Landmark 365!!!

jayc
03-21-2020, 03:50 PM
I've had my Cheap Heat unit for awhile and have learned that it is the best modification I have done to any trailer that I have owned. It heats so evenly and quickly and the best thing is that I'll probably never have to lug heavy propane bottles again.

jbeletti
03-21-2020, 05:11 PM
Great to hear you are liking it. I was given a cheapheat system by some wonderful friends. So now I need to install it. I guess sense we are on lock down I might as well do the install myself. I my need a few tips when I get into it.

Jerrod

Git’r done Jerrod. I’m knocking off some projects now as well.

Miss my projects pals!

That said - Terry H took some supplies for me and made a roof-mount bracket for my external cell/WiFi/GPS antenna. Going to meet him on Monday to grab that, then add it to my “projects to finish” list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti
03-21-2020, 05:13 PM

Since we left CO at the end of Feb, we've used our CheapHeat everyday and night. Love it! Thanks Larry!

TGLBWH
03-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Last season was my first with it and i will have it in any rig from this point. Was a relatively easy install but made a little harder since I only had 30 amp at my place. Larry walked me through it when needed. Did I day I loved it

LBR
03-21-2020, 06:42 PM
I can't really see how it could benefit us for heating our CY, but am glad it works for so many of you..[emoji4][emoji4]

danemayer
03-21-2020, 07:36 PM
I self-installed CheapHeat 4 years ago and have used it 4 summers (thermostat set at 70) with temps going to 40 or lower overnight. I also have had it on through 4 winters (thermostat set at 40-45) while in storage behind the house. It's been outstanding.

I am so glad I no longer have to schlep tanks that weigh 72 lbs when full.

jbeletti
03-21-2020, 09:46 PM
I self-installed CheapHeat 4 years ago and have used it 4 summers (thermostat set at 70) with temps going to 40 or lower overnight. I also have had it on through 4 winters (thermostat set at 40-45) while in storage behind the house. It's been outstanding.

I am so glad I no longer have to schlep tanks that weigh 72 lbs when full.

Personal opinion here... Cost aside, as this isn't a primary driver for all - like Dan, I am thrilled to no longer have to schlep propane tanks. My last coach had big tanks, my tiny trailer has tiny tanks - but still, I don't miss the hassle.

At my current campground, my $500 per month rate is all in (site, water, power, sewer, laundry, WiFi, pool, garbage etc.). So that includes the cost of forced air furnace heating in our RV. Love that and no tank humping. Multiply that by a few seasons and for some (not all) - it could even pay itself off in savings. But again - convenience, not cost is the reason I have it now in my second coach.

bhall
03-22-2020, 08:12 AM
I can't really see how it could benefit us for heating our CY, but am glad it works for so many of you..[emoji4][emoji4]

Hi LBR, you must not connect to shore power often or neeed to use a furnace in general very often? Just curious what your situation is like...

LBR
03-22-2020, 09:56 AM
Hi LBR, you must not connect to shore power often or neeed to use a furnace in general very often? Just curious what your situation is like...
Yes, we do boondock 95% of the time.

Sometimes we will overnight at a park every 3 weeks to service the tanks and take on water, but most of the time we just do so during daily travels.

Occasionally we wish to off-road in an area that we cant locate boondocking or dry camping areas, but does have a park.....we will plug in for a few days then...[emoji4]

danemayer
03-22-2020, 10:26 AM

Sometimes we will overnight at a park every 3 weeks to service the tanks and take on water, but most of the time we just do so during daily travels.

Occasionally we wish to off-road in an area that we cant locate boondocking or dry camping areas, but does have a park.....we will plug in for a few days then...[emoji4]

Clearly, if you don't have shore power, many 120V devices, including CheapHeat, will be less interesting.

LBR
03-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Clearly, if you don't have shore power, many 120V devices, including CheapHeat, will be less interesting.Exactly. We use BLM land as our front, rear, and side yards....[emoji4]

bhall
03-22-2020, 12:40 PM

Good stuff, thanks for the reply. You def. have no need for electric heat then for sure. I would like to get into boondocking more frequent eventually...Just working on building up my battery bank and some solar to charge.

TravelTiger
03-22-2020, 06:11 PM
We added CheapHeat this fall, and though we do pay for electric at our home park, the benefit of not having to tote tanks back and forth through the winter months has been a blessing. We actually run everything on electric - fridge, water heater, induction cooktop, and now furnace, so no worries about propane at all!

We did a self-install but had input from friends that had done it before and Larry to make sure we did it right.

dykesj11
03-22-2020, 08:24 PM
Dave Tyler and I have installed three systems now. Hardest part is clearing interference. After that, Larry’s instructions are pretty good plus you can call him anytime. Short of boondocking, it’s worth every cent.

Jim Beletti question - this last time, did you go stand alone version? If so, thoughts on doing so? We’re taking delivery on new rig next week and I have this high on my list of mods.

Lastly, on our Bighorn and as we get into this new rig, thanks to Jim, Jerrod, Dan and everyone else for posting all the numerous mods. Probably don’t need’em all but sure makes life fun, especially these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jbeletti
03-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Dave Tyler and I have installed three systems now. Hardest part is clearing interference. After that, Larry’s instructions are pretty good plus you can call him anytime. Short of boondocking, it’s worth every cent.

Jim Beletti question - this last time, did you go stand alone version? If so, thoughts on doing so? We’re taking delivery on new rig next week and I have this high on my list of mods.

Lastly, on our Bighorn and as we get into this new rig, thanks to Jim, Jerrod, Dan and everyone else for posting all the numerous mods. Probably don’t need’em all but sure makes life fun, especially these days.

Jim - yes, I have a stand-alone, AC-only CheapHeat system. Let me explain why...

My current coach (Sundance travel trailer) lacked clearance for the CheapHeat extension cabinet. I opted to remove the propane furnace in favor of an AC-only CheapHeat system. This "just fit" in my small space. In fact, Larry made me a custom sized unit just to fit my available space.

Now for us, because we don't do any off-grid camping (at least not planned), having an AC-only furnace hasn't been an issue for me.

Also, because I have a 600 AH of LiFePO4 battery bank and a 3000 watt inverter, I can run my furnace on 30-amp power and CheapHeat produces about 1800 watts of heat for me when not plugged into shore power. This is handy on travel days for when we stop for lunch or if it's real cold out and I want to take the chill off the RV for that final leg of travel each day and not pull into a campground with a frozen trailer interior.

That all said - I have a special use-case and I don't think it will fit many Heartlanders. Unless say, you plan to set a unit up on a lot semi-permanently - then it's ideal!

dykesj11
03-22-2020, 10:32 PM
Thanks Jim. That’s what I wanted to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

superduty08
03-30-2020, 11:07 AM
I had ours installed at the International rally in Goshen last June and love it. Saves from winterizing as we are 1/2 timers all year. Has anyone found that when the unit cycles off that it affects the tv and sound bar? This started happening last fall and between all the rain we have had, I haven't been able to check it. Larry mentioned the panel connection could be a starting place. Any suggestions?

jbeletti
03-30-2020, 10:37 PM
I had ours installed at the International rally in Goshen last June and love it. Saves from winterizing as we are 1/2 timers all year. Has anyone found that when the unit cycles off that it affects the tv and sound bar? This started happening last fall and between all the rain we have had, I haven't been able to check it. Larry mentioned the panel connection could be a starting place. Any suggestions?

Bobby - I've never heard of this issue. What does it actually make the sound bar do? Also, what if the sound bar is off - does it do anything to the TV. Finally, as a test, grab a long extension cord, plug the sound bar into it and try to power it from other circuits. Bathroom and kitchen will be the same circuit. All slide outlets will be another circuit. Fireplace has its own, as does the microwave and refrigerator.

Flick
03-31-2020, 08:08 AM

If everything seems to be working correctly other than the tv and sound bar being affected, it could be simply that one side of your 120v circuit may be overloaded. Jim’s recommendation of plugging the tv etc to an extension cord to see if problem goes away is good advise. If this helps, then moving some stuff around in your 120v breaker panel would probably fix your problem.
Otherwise, there could be a short in your CheapHeat circuitry.

superduty08
03-31-2020, 08:31 AM
Bobby - I've never heard of this issue. What does it actually make the sound bar do? Also, what if the sound bar is off - does it do anything to the TV. Finally, as a test, grab a long extension cord, plug the sound bar into it and try to power it from other circuits. Bathroom and kitchen will be the same circuit. All slide outlets will be another circuit. Fireplace has its own, as does the microwave and refrigerator.

When the heater cycles off the tv screen goes black and the sound goes quite for a couple seconds, then returns to normal. This doesn't happen when the heater cycles on. I'll be back in the camper Thursday and try the extension cord idea. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

If everything seems to be working correctly other than the tv and sound bar being affected, it could be simply that one side of your 120v circuit may be overloaded. Jim’s recommendation of plugging the tv etc to an extension cord to see if problem goes away is good advise. If this helps, then moving some stuff around in your 120v breaker panel would probably fix your problem.
Otherwise, there could be a short in your CheapHeat circuitry.

Everything with the Cheapheat seems to function normally. I agree that it is an electrical thing going on and I'll check connections at the panel later this week when I go back to the farm.

jbeletti
03-31-2020, 09:07 AM
When the heater cycles off the tv screen goes black and the sound goes quite for a couple seconds, then returns to normal. This doesn't happen when the heater cycles on.

Is this happening on satellite television? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if the power supply to your LNBs are is being affected. Might want to try to power that PSU from the outlet at the pedestal as a test.

danemayer
03-31-2020, 09:30 AM
If you have generator prep, the CheapHeat is probably wired into the shore power side of the transfer switch. With shore power disconnected, you might want to open the transfer switch and make sure everything is tight.

superduty08
04-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Is this happening on satellite television? Reason I ask is I'm wondering if the power supply to your LNBs are is being affected. Might want to try to power that PSU from the outlet at the pedestal as a test.

I checked the breaker panel and only found that the cheap heat wiring was preventing the bottom of the main breaker from hooking on the bottom support rail. Fixed that and checked all connections to the rest of the breakers. All good.
Next I used an extension cord as earlier suggested and plugged in two different circuits and the problem continued. The breaker for the tv and sound bar is feeding all the slide outlets except the fire place which has its own.
Dan, this is using my Satelite but the receiver is not affected. It stays on. By the way I'm hooked to the dish on my bunk house here at the farm as I'm parked under my pole barn.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

superduty08
04-03-2020, 12:23 PM
If you have generator prep, the CheapHeat is probably wired into the shore power side of the transfer switch. With shore power disconnected, you might want to open the transfer switch and make sure everything is tight.

Dan, I don't have the gen prep and found they connected to the main breaker

CheapHeat
04-03-2020, 12:44 PM
I checked the breaker panel and only found that the cheap heat wiring was preventing the bottom of the main breaker from hooking on the bottom support rail. Fixed that and checked all connections to the rest of the breakers. All good.
Next I used an extension cord as earlier suggested and plugged in two different circuits and the problem continued. The breaker for the tv and sound bar is feeding all the slide outlets except the fire place which has its own.
Dan, this is using my Satelite but the receiver is not affected. It stays on. By the way I'm hooked to the dish on my bunk house here at the farm as I'm parked under my pole barn.

I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?
This is Larry with RV Comfort Systems, give me a call, I have a couple things I'd like to have you try.
Ph 425-408-3140

danemayer
04-03-2020, 12:44 PM
My thought is that there may be arcing somewhere when the CheapHeat shuts off. Other places to check for loose wires would be the connections inside the CheapHeat control box where the 120V wiring connects, at the heating coil, and I wouldn't overlook the shore power cord connection to the trailer and the pedestal. And if the problem started at your current campground, maybe even inside the pedestal.

superduty08
04-03-2020, 09:52 PM
Dan, I'm at our farm and I actually installed the pedestal and my progressive ems shows the ped good. I have changed out the male end of the service cord but it was happening before that. I'm not above making mistakes but I've checked twice just because I did do the work. What is really puzzling is that the DTV receiver on the same circuit is not affected. I have not checked the cheap heat connections other than their orgin. This is not a big deal but as a dyi guy, it baffles me. I'll call Larry and see if he has discovered anything. I'll keep y'all posted as this plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

This is Larry with RV Comfort Systems, give me a call, I have a couple things I'd like to have you try.
Ph 425-408-3140

Larry, glad you're following. As you see this is still happening but I'm still trying. Will call you tomorrow if that's ok. Thanks.

CheapHeat
04-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Dan, I'm at our farm and I actually installed the pedestal and my progressive ems shows the ped good. I have changed out the male end of the service cord but it was happening before that. I'm not above making mistakes but I've checked twice just because I did do the work. What is really puzzling is that the DTV receiver on the same circuit is not affected. I have not checked the cheap heat connections other than their orgin. This is not a big deal but as a dyi guy, it baffles me. I'll call Larry and see if he has discovered anything. I'll keep y'all posted as this plays out.

- - - Updated - - -

Larry, glad you're following. As you see this is still happening but I'm still trying. Will call you tomorrow if that's ok. Thanks.
Boby,
if you have a chance before you call run a seprate cord from your sound bar and TV outside to a totally different circuit in your building. Not the pedestal but a totally different circuit inside your farm building.
Thanks

superduty08
04-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Boby,
if you have a chance before you call run a seprate cord from your sound bar and TV outside to a totally different circuit in your building. Not the pedestal but a totally different circuit inside your farm building.
Thanks

Larry, I ran an extension cord from the bunk house to test and nothing changed. The outlet I used is on a completely different power source.

jbeletti
04-04-2020, 04:27 PM
Bobby - please try the alternate power test with the power supply for your satellite "antenna". Not the receiver. My theory is that power supply for the LNBs is temporarily losing power and that is what is cause the audio/video outage.

superduty08
04-04-2020, 10:40 PM
Bobby - please try the alternate power test with the power supply for your satellite "antenna". Not the receiver. My theory is that power supply for the LNBs is temporarily losing power and that is what is cause the audio/video outage.

Jim, I'm connected to the dish on my bunk house and not my traveler dish. It is powered on a separate circuit than the camper. My dvr recordings do not have the gaps that I see on the tv. The noise will have to be between the receiver and sound bar/ tv. I have ordered some noise reduction magnets to try. They may not be received until May. I will update as soon as they arrive.