Brand new battery is dead

Brent5053

We picked up our 2020 Trail Runner from the dealer to store it at an RV storage facility and two weeks later the battery had no power to raise the tongue jack, is that normal? We thought that we had left something on in the rig but all switches were off. We can't figure out why a new battery could not maintain a charge for two weeks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Brent5053 welcome to this great forum.
Unless you have a battery cutoff switch or disconnect the battery your battery will go dead.
There is always some parasitic draw from a few things like the LP detector and radio.
So when your battery went dead it was normal.
Once you get a charge in it consider disconnecting the neutral battery cable when in storage.

Peace
Dave

SNOKING

To top it off you damaged the battery by draining it flat. It will most likely charge back up, however it will not be as good as a battery that has never been flatten like this. This is really bad when in happens in Northern winter locations, as the battery can freeze and crack open. Chris

jbeletti

Brent - the radio and the propane gas detector are generally the culprits here.

Advice given this far is spot on:
1. Battery will now never be as good as new
2. You'll want to add a battery cut-off switch at the battery

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Trailrunner. My son in southern MN has one as well.

TedS

Unless you have a battery cutoff switch or disconnect the battery your battery will go dead.
There is always some parasitic draw from a few things like the LP detector and radio.
Once you get a charge in it consider disconnecting the neutral battery cable when in storage.

Peace
Dave

Did you mean negative battery cable?

Brent5053

Peace
Dave
Thanks for the insight Dave. I will be mindful next time to disconnect the battery cable.
Brent

Brent5053

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Trailrunner. My son in southern MN has one as well.

Thanks for the reply and it sounds like I had to learn this lesson the hard way.:(
Brent

Brent5053

To top it off you damaged the battery by draining it flat. It will most likely charge back up, however it will not be as good as a battery that has never been flatten like this. This is really bad when in happens in Northern winter locations, as the battery can freeze and crack open. Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. I learned this one the hard way and will learn to disconnect the battery next time.
Brent

Brent5053

Jim,
We are new to trailer camping and I expected to have some "on the job training" but we didn't even have it out at a camp site yet and we are learning :p. Thanks for reply.
Brent

jbeletti

Keep on asking questions, reading and learning. Many of us have camped for a long time and have had many RVs. We’re here to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

Remember...there are no stupid questions,,,the way to learn is by asking..
Don't feel like your on your own,,,we all learned by asking and yes.. by making mistakes.
Soon you’ll be helping someone else that’s new to the RV world.