awning light on wilderness 26.0 foot.

good evening folks. i have a wilderness camper with an LED light strip in the awning. light wasn't working and looked bad. replaced strip and it still doesn't work. checked for power at connection. no power. took switch off the wall, which is a double switch by the way. the other switch controls the light above the bed. had 11.7 volts on that switch, but only .03 volts on the awning light switch. i did notice each switch has 2 wires going to them. but weird thing is there is a jumper on the yellow wire connected to both switches. what is this? can't find it in any diagrams. thanks in advance. also any ideas what may be causing the low voltage on that one switch?

been almost 2 months. no one has an idea? any long shots?? any ideas?? any tech reps follow this forum? please help. almost time for my vacation and i would really like to have my awning lights.:confused:

danemayer

With both switches OFF, put a volt meter red lead on one terminal of the bed switch and the the black lead on a known, good ground. The switch does not have a ground btw. One terminal should read 12V DC. The other terminal should read 0V DC.

Turn that switch ON and both bed switch terminals should read 12V DC.

Now repeat for the switch that operates the light strip.

If neither terminal has 12V DC with switch OFF, go to the main fuse panel and check each fuse with a meter set to ohms.

If one terminal has 12V DC with switch OFF, turn the switch ON and check the other terminal. If it does not have 12V, you have a bad switch.

As for the wire that jumpers the 2 switches, I would guess that means there is one wire coming from the fuse box, and it's providing power to both switches. But since you said there are 2 wires to each switch, that doesn't exactly make sense. A picture might help.

Bogie

I didn't understand the yellow jumper wire you spoke of. As Dan said, a picture would help.

I do have long shot for you. Though I don't know how a Wilderness is wired, I did a mod on my Sundance and acidently found a hidden fuse. Interestingly, it did feed the led lights on the awning. Had I not installed a custom panel, I never would have know it was there as there was no access to the cavity where the fuse was located. Here is a LINK to the original post that explains it a little better.

I didn't understand the yellow jumper wire you spoke of. As Dan said, a picture would help.

I do have long shot for you. Though I don't know how a Wilderness is wired, I did a mod on my Sundance and acidently found a hidden fuse. Interestingly, it did feed the led lights on the awning. Had I not installed a custom panel, I never would have know it was there as there was no access to the cavity where the fuse was located. Here is a LINK to the original post that explains it a little better.
Thank you for the replies Bogie and Danemayer . Here is the picture of the jumper wire on the switches. The switches are mounted on the upper cabinet, so I am guessing the wiring is running down the wall.

Last edited:
here is a followup for my awning light. i finally found the fuse. it was located on the outside under the forward support arm trim. light now works great. thank you all for the input.