heating Question

ptillett

Guys, when you are traveling down the road and it's freaking cold, do you leave your heat on in the RV while you travel? We were coming home and stopped at the ole walmart stop-over and it was freaking cold. :) WHEW! It took a long time to warm up in there. And our bed was SO cold. LOL

Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to say, I've never considered that before. I guess it would work but I don't know if the furnace would even run.

We run with our furnace running leave Sask. and travel to AZ in late Dec the temp is -20 to -25 C set the furnace at 50 to 55 F. Also have water in trailer had to run a 1" heat duct into the Docking Center plus 1.5" styerfoam on bottom of docking center. We also use a electric mat cover on the bed to take the chill off.

randes

Driving with the furnance running

We have ran with the heater on with no problems. We usually set the thermostate on 60 so it keeps the chill off. That way it doesn't take a long time to reheat the trailer. The only problem we have found is that the slide rugs cover two of the 4 floor vents. We found that placing a short piece of 2x4 under the rug next to the vent holds the rug up enough to allow the hot air to get out. :) If you don't have a digital thermostate to set your temperature acurately, you can get one at Wally World for about $20. There are a number of old posts that describe how to hook it up. Good Luck! :)

ptillett

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about an electric blanket for the bed, to take that chill off! Whew!!! Sometimes that thing is cold to climb into. :)

I was going to put in a digital thermostat. I noticed this past November trip that the temp dropped pertty good before the heat kicked in. The digital should have a tighter trigger for the furnace.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
The digital I bought at Wally World can be set to a 1 degree span so it comes on one degree below the set temp but after mine cuts off it runs a few minutes to cool down so it reaches about two degrees above the set temp.

Don