Winterizing - bypass issue

gmpoirier

George
I just attempted to pump the anti-freeze into the system in the following sequence:

0. Pump off
1. Emptied holding tanks
2. Emptied water heater (left anode out and pressure valve open)
3. Emptied potable water tank
4. Flipped both bypass levers to bypass
5. Insert winterizing hose in anti-freeze
6. Turned pump on
7. Opened kitchen faucet

After running water for a few seconds, the liquid (still water) stopped. I went out and checked the anti-freeze and it was empty. However antifreeze was coming out of the hot water heater.

Also - the instructions winterizing on the door say to drain the potable water tank and the lowest point. I drained the one behind the holding tank hose connector. Is there another?

Sounds like a system problem to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all your wisdom and experience,

Fordsd250

I think you may have not turned the right valve or did not get it turned all the way to bypass water heater.

gmpoirier

George
That's surely what it looks like, but..

the lever is vertical to the stopping point. I'll take another shot at it tomorrow. Thanks

davelinde

4. Flipped both bypass levers to bypass
... However antifreeze was coming out of the hot water heater.

There are 4 levers involved in bypass. One to get the pump to pull from the antifreeze bottle - since AF left the bottle you've got that right. There are three to bypass the HW - since there is AF in the HWH you got that wrong.

To bypass the HWH you close the valve in, close the valve out and open the valve for bypass.

Hart

The 3rd valve to switch is the one between the valve for hot and cold that goes into water heater. That one makes the AF circulate thru lines and NOT into HWH.

Our North Trail has 2 low point drains. Open them until AF runs out when you finish other steps.

davelinde

To clarify a little more.

On my HL the valve marked "bypass" is by the water pump and that ONLY allows the pump to suction from the AF container.

To bypass the hot water heater you need to go to the back of the HWH (in my case under the kitchen sink, but models will vary). Looking at the HWH plumbing you will see 3 quarter turn valves - open is parallel to the pipe and closed is perpendicular. In normal operation the cold inlet is open and the hot outlet is open - there is a bypass line between inlet and oulet and it should be closed. To bypass you close the inlet and outlet and open the bypass. If you leave either the inlet OR the outlet open by mistake AF will find it's way into the HWH. This is no big deal... but you really don't need to buy all the extra AF that will take - hence the popularity of the bypass kit.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Similar - but different, problem

I've completely cleared out the lines with compressed air, but wanted to run some anti-freeze thru just as a backup. I bypassed the HWH (under the entertainment center on my Sundance), closed the valve to the fresh water tank, opened the valve to the anti-freeze pick up line, went back inside and opened the kitchen faucet and turned on the water pump. Waited awhile and nothing. Went back outside and all the anti-freeze was gone from the bottle. Unfortunately, it didn't go thru the water lines. It went out the city water inlet and all over the inside of the "command center" (and subsequently onto the ground). Did I miss a valve somewhere right under my nose? Only saw the two I described above near the access panel in the storage compartment and turned all three for the HWH by-pass (didn't get any in the HWH). It makes sense that there must be a valve to shut off the city water inlet - but I couldn't find it.

SmokeyBare

This has come up before... you may do a search to see if you can find the posting.

I would suggest the check valve on the City line is stuck in the open position. If you look at the connection for your water hose... you should see a plastic stem inside the fitting... that stem is a valve... which uses a spring to push it in place... sealing the valve closed... sort of a back flow prevention... safety valve.

If you don't see this valve... then you will have a problem... you will want to replace the city water connection... BUT... in the mean time, you can purchase a " Plug " that screws into the water connection... that should seal the water fitting and allow you to winterize your Rig.

Good LUCK !

SmokeyBare

Gus,

NOT at ALL !!

There's not enough room on the Forum for the questions and problems I've had....

I could go on for ever... with the DuH's of my own !

Marv

Steve WV

Here's another thing to check if antifreeze goes into the hot water heater. I had the same problem with my 2009 Bighorn 3370. There's a check valve on the top outlet on the water heater. It's black plastic threaded into the water heater. My valve had come apart internally and was letting the antifreeze into the water heater. Hope that helps, Steve