Jerking motion while towing

RayBliss

I recently bought a 2012 Heartland Road Warrior 405 RW. When towing the fifth wheel I get a forward to back jerking motion. I have a Lipp1621HD pinbox and my hitch is a Curt Q24 which was installed new in a 2011 GMC Denali 3500HD dually. Any suggestions how to reduce the jerking motion?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello RayBliss and welcome to this great forum.
There are a few aftermarket pin boxes that will help with chucking.
I have a FlexAir which provides relief from up and down as well as front to back jarring.
That's just my preference and I'm sure others will chime in with their preferences.
Stay tuned.

Peace
Dave

Dmetcalf

I researched this as well and finally decided on the MORRYDE rubber pin box. They’re all a bit pricey but the MORRYDE was a few hundred dollars cheaper and had really good reviews so I decided to try that one. But like it was stated there are a few great choices so good luck with your decision..!

Flick

I recently bought a 2012 Heartland Road Warrior 405 RW. When towing the fifth wheel I get a forward to back jerking motion. I have a Lipp1621HD pinbox and my hitch is a Curt Q24 which was installed new in a 2011 GMC Denali 3500HD dually. Any suggestions how to reduce the jerking motion?

I hope you will enjoy your toyhauler as much as we’ve enjoyed ours. These are heavy units and are sensitive, at least what we’ve found, to how they are loaded down. For example, putting to much weight in the rear to help balance pin weight can cause a much different ride effect, etc. I have found that sometimes more weight on the truck helps. Also, air bags on the rear of the truck helps to firm up and make for a smoother ride. On ours, I have the standard oem pin box and a 20k Reese hitch and I have to constantly look back to see if I haven’t lost the trailer because it rides so smooth. On occasion, some chucking is normal depending on road conditions. Good luck. You’ll figure it out thru trial and error.

jmarnell

For our Cyclone 4005, we're using a combination of the Trail Air pin box with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. Gives a pretty smooth ride, and also the Andersen makes hitching and un-hitching very easy!

RayBliss

Thank you for the info. I’m researching info on the flex air pin box. The jerking motion I’m feeling is while driving on rough and bully roads including interstates. It’s beating us up🥴

donr827

The air bags mentioned above should help with the ruff roads up and down motion. Good luck and have fun.

MTPockets

I can’t compare as we had the MorRyde installed when new, but we never experienced that back & forth problem. Always happy with the ride.

Garypowell

I don’t think I ever had a rig that did not buck a little. Trip by trip I would try something....tire pressure was first then hitch height, etc. then maybe airbags or a new pin box. I always found a combination.

the important thing is only do one fix at a time.

sengli

We installed the moryde unit to help with the chucking. I have found it helps, but on certain types of roads we still get it. The cement roads that are poured in slabs seem to be the worst for us. I have found if I changed speeds sometimes that helps too.

hoefler

Positioning of the fifth wheel hitch in relation to the axle will have a dramtic affect. The closer the pin gets to center of axle or behind, will cause this issue. Very come when towing with a short bed truck.

donr827

Thinking back the instructions for my hitch mentioned how far in front of the rear axel it should be mounted.

NYSUPstater

Weight distribution in RV, pin location on truck, air ride pin box and hitch all contribute to aid things. Personally, sounds like all 4 in this case. I opted for a 5th AirBorne pin box, B&W hitch which allows pin to be relocated fore-aft a couple inches. Feel weight is ok front to back in coach and end result is no chucking or movement and ride is great.

I would start off by making sure weight is even, then the pin box. Go in steps to fine tune things. Redistributing the weight won't cost you a dime. After that, it adds up. We've all been there. Let us know how you make out.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I also have the Flex Air and have absolutely NO CHUCKING. We have had the Fifth Airborne in a previous fifth wheel and it was okay, but not as good as the Flex Air, IMO. I highly recommend it!

Rod