2 or 4 batteries

Squirlee

I am getting a couple 220 amp 6volt batteries. They have 4 in stock. Is it worth it to grab all 4 and run them? I both boondock and camp in full services. When we boom dock I have to run my generator twice a day. I would like to get a couple days. Current batteries are 2 - 80 amp 12 volt batteries. I run my fridge, pump, lights, charge phones with a 1000 w inverter but I’m installing a new 2200 watt inverter and will be running a tv.

Oregon_Camper

Residential Frig or 2 way? 4x6v batteries will only get you 220 usable amps, using the 50% DOD rule. At 50%, you'll be around 11.9 - 12v and below that will damage battery life. If you have residential frig, that will really take a toll on your batteries and I doubt you'll get past 2 days, before your inverter stops, due to falling below 12v threshold.

Moving to a 2200w inverter will require more battery (See chart)

Capture.JPG

Squirlee

It’s a residential fridge. I thought 4 220a batteries would get me 440a useable? My calculations must be a bit off.

Residential Frig or 2 way? 4x6v batteries will only get you 220 usable amps, using the 50% DOD rule. At 50%, you'll be around 11.9 - 12v and below that will damage battery life. If you have residential frig, that will really take a toll on your batteries and I doubt you'll get past 2 days, before your inverter stops, due to falling below 12v threshold.

Moving to a 2200w inverter will require more battery (See chart)

View attachment 64079

Oregon_Camper

It’s a residential fridge. I thought 4 220a batteries would get me 440a useable? My calculations must be a bit off.

6v battery at 220 amp connect to another 6v = 12v but amps stay the same 220.

now pair the two 12v pairs you get 440 amps, but only 50% is usable.

Lithium gets you 100% usage amps, but the price is much more. I have an entire YouTube video on this if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/08u7VRPeJD4

LBR

It takes 2 of your 6V 220AH batteries to give you 220AH @ 12V...4 will get you the 440AH total. Then with the 50% ruling mentioned, you will be back down to 220 AH usable.

We also have a resi frig and it is the highest battery usage when not plugged in.....by far! If your going to boondock, your infrastructure needs to be substantial to accommodate.

Squirlee

Thanks everyone. So many decisions! I'm contemplating just buying a couple 100ah lithium batteries now and just hold off on the inverter until the wallet recovers a bit.

I have watched your video Oregon. Several times actually. I just can't afford that setup at this point in my life but that is definitely what I would like.