King size bed

garyandbarb

Meandering Canucks
We own a 2008 3670 Bighorn and would like to know if anyone has cut down the king size bed to make into a Queen. If so how complicated was it and does anyone have a proceedure to accomplish this?

Sharon

I ordered our Landmark with a queen bed instead of a king because I didn't want a bed as big as a king and when we picked it up they hadn't put in the queen bed at all. So we had no choice. I had to buy all new bedding and then the real problem started. There is no room to tuck in a matress pad, two sheets and a blanket to make the bed. It takes both my husband and myself to change the bed. I dread making the bed every day and it never looks good and can't unless it only has the bedspread on it as it did when we first looked at it. Also I was told that it had a storage space under the bed as other rv's that we have lived in have had . I had forgotten to look myself so I called them at the dealership where we were buying it that was two hours away. The salesgirl said that she went out and made sure that it did, in fact have storage under the bed. It was not even close to the truth. I took the dealers word for it. I was more than disappointed . Very impractical for living in. When we picked up the trailer the best they they could do, after trying to convince me that the king was a queen, they said that the best they could do was put our old queen mattress on the king frame. Nothing was done to make it good.The bed alone has been my worst nightmare. If anyone has any good suggestions, I will take any that I can get. Thank you
Sharon
hogansononwheels2@msn.comshe

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
There are two solutions posted on the forums, One a detailed description with pics of the bed being cut down to a queen, and the other is a project making more storage space under the bed. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to find them and post a link here.
Making the king bed is a pain. We put some thin self-stick tiles on the wood platform and it makes the mattress much easier to slide. When we do a full linen change, it takes both if us to do it. I bagged the original spread and shams for a washable type and just fold the top down and cover it up with the bigger pillows and shams.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sadly, the only way to reduce the size of your king bed is to replace it with a queen mattress. You will have to remove the platform and cut it down to the size of the queen but it will still cover the base so that shouldn't be a problem. Lin & I actually replaced our factory king with a select comfort king. Although it's wider by 2 inches, it's easier to make because it doesn't have a wire frame like an innerspring mattress. That makes it easier to stuff the bedding in between the slide and mattress. Here is a link to a thread for increasing underbed storage. Within that thread is another link with detailed instructions. I hope this all works out for you. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=4527&highlight=under+bed+storage

Last edited:

BobSue

We did a mid point between these.

First we found a place that would make a custom size mattress. Not an unreasonable price. Try looking for custom boat fitters. They all need a custom size/shape mattress. I found two on the south side of Houston.

Then I cut the top platform down to just match the box below that it was sitting on. This was very easy with a jig saw. It could even be done with a hand saw. Didn't even remove it from the rv.

Now we have more room on both sides of the bed. We kept the length since it wasn't a problem.

Only real down side is that standard sheets don't fit well. But since I don't see them this doesn't bother me.

Big key is finding the custom mattress makers.