Question About Built-In Generator

Jimdee

Greetings! We'll be buying a LM Pinehurst this summer and I'm undecided about whether or not to order the built-in generator. The literature lists the option as a 5.5 kw Onan LP generator. Does that mean it runs only on LP, or does it also run on gasoline? I'm assuming it's a matter of pushing a button inside to start it? That sure seems more convenient than dealing with a separate generator outside or in the truck bed. Another matter is the price. It's a $5,000 option. Is it feasible to order just the gen prep and have the same type of generator installed independently? And what are other brand options? Any opinions or advice about this subject would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim & Dee

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check with you dealer on these questions. I do know you can order without the generator with only the generator prep and add the generator later.

linuxkidd

The 5.5kw Onan LP that is a factory option is indeed LP Gas only... And is indeed a push button start inside the RV.

There are dual fueled generators that you can install into the factory 'generator prep'. LP and Gas is something I'm looking into for my Landmark. Just not ready to commit the $$ yet.

Hope this helps!
LK

jpmorgan37

Jimdee;

One thing to consider is how long you intend to run your generator at a time. You may find that if you are looking at longer periods of run time that your propane would be in short supply. If it is just for short runs or emergencies, then you should be fine with the propane generator.

John

grizzlygiant

I got my coach "generator ready" and had an independent dealer install a LP 3600 Onan at a cost of $3200. I can run one airconditioner or microwave, either with lights and TV. Works fine for me and is easy on fuel.