New guy TV question

Dmaxcc6spd

These new LCD tv's can be quite heavy. What is protocol when going down the road? Do tv's have to be removed from shelves and walls? Will most LCD tv mounts hold up to the abuses of American roads? Will the RV hold up the the weight of a TV hanging on it while traveling? I had never really thought about this, but certainly don't want to damage the RV or TV.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Ours is on a swing-out mount, but we have a built-in strap that goes across the front to keep it from swinging while in transit. No issues so far. Using the nylon strap idea, we made and installed another one over the front of the bedroom TV cabinet.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Actually LCD Tv's are about 50% lighter than a comparable size tube style tv. I have a 32" in our LR and a 17" in the bedroom. The 32" weighs 45# and the 17" as about 12#. I have them both mounted permanently but I'm able to remove them in a few minutes if needed. Here are a few pictures of the LR mounts

Attachments

• Bolts thru base.JPG
    Bolts thru base.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Menards Brackets.JPG
    Menards Brackets.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 32in. LCD Nice Fit.JPG
    32in. LCD Nice Fit.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 40
  • TV Access door.JPG
    TV Access door.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 35

cjbearden

Visitor
Just be sure the LR TV is strapped down. Forgot once and came into coach to sadly see the TV hanging out and upside down. In the end probably a good thing. It was improperly mounted and the very few screws that were used in the frame up were useless. DH rebuilt the frame, added more screws and we are diligent in strapping 'er down every move. Don't have to do anything to the BR TV. Travels fine. Oh, we did have our dealer raise the BR's TV in order to accommodate a TIVO box so it is better secured than it was originally.

Dmaxcc6spd

Thanks - it sounds like there aren't really any problems as long as some common sense is used.

Merry Christmas!