Recall

Jimmyt5

Chrysler Is Recalling 108,429 My 2007-2008 Dodge Ram 2500 And 3500 Pickup Trucks Equipped With 6.7l Diesel Engines. A Silencer Pad Can Sag And Contact The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (egr) Cooler.

cliffbuilt

Thanks for the info !
I've got a question for dodge owners. My engine oil is always extremely black and stains anything it touches, the last oil change was overfull I took a sample to the dealer," they advised less idle time and more drive time under load ". They also gave me a copy of a customer case which states when crankcase oil is greater than 5% fuel in oil the ECM will send a message to the EVIC to display "Oil Change Required". This calculation is derived from engine idle time & the amount of time the engine is performing an active exhaust regeneration. So is it time for modifications to the exhaust system or what????? Last oil changed @ 11,500 miles & I've never gotten an "Oil Change Required" message to date. Any suggestions please??
Thanks Cliff

boatdoc

Hi Cliff, For any info you need on your truck go to cumminsforum.com. There's a wealth of knowledge on that site.
Your engine oil is black because of the emmisions crap the EPA enforced. The EGR valve lets raw exhaust back into the cylinders to be burned again thus blackening the oil. It doesn't hurt the viscosity any but does a number on the color of it. About your exhaust, I hear a rattle on our new truck and I think the exhaust and EGR are about to fall off:D.
I see your in Coos Bay, we're down in Bandon. Give me a PM if needed.
Thanks

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have the 08 3500 and my oil is black as black can be. I am a member of dieseltruckresource.com which deals with nothing but dodge diesels and I posted a question on there about the oil and was told the same thing that cliffbuilt stated about the emissions system. They all said it was normal on the 6.7. Several stated that it would turn black just a few miles after oil change. One thing that will help with the sutt build up in the dpf and turbo is to unplug the EGR valve. Almost everybody unplugs it. It runs just as good but you will have a check engine light that stays on. I can live with the light because I get between 3 and 4 more miles per gallon with it unplugged. I unplugged mine at 200 miles and I have 1350 miles on it now with no problems. I've not heard of anyone having problems with their dealers after reading the code that it was unplugged. When you go just plug it back in. The recall is for real. Notices are suppose to be sent out starting this month. Cumminsfourm is good but the dieseltruckresource site has much more information.
Bill

beardedone

Beardedone
Like previousy said. Mine is an 08 3500 and the oil is always very black. Some people are / were having trouble with increased level on the dip stick and that is from fuel being dumped in with the oil. I have never had that problem but apparently Dodge says some of that is normal. Doesn't seem normal to me. I haven't got any rattles under my truck that sound like the DPF is going to fall off but I am checking on it closely.