rear camera

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Cyclone, was installing a back-up camera. Was going to use the middle rear clearance light to get my 12volts. Found out I only had 10-10.2volts. Question is if I replace all the running lights to LED would that help on the voltage drop or should I run a separate cable for feed to the camera and move it to the bottom next to the license plate??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess my first question would be what is the source of your 12 volts. It may be something other than line voltage drop.

Peace
Dave

Flick

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Cyclone, was installing a back-up camera. Was going to use the middle rear clearance light to get my 12volts. Found out I only had 10-10.2volts. Question is if I replace all the running lights to LED would that help on the voltage drop or should I run a separate cable for feed to the camera and move it to the bottom next to the license plate??

Did you check your voltage with your truck running. Best place for rear camera is above the door, not at the bottom.
I installed ours by picking up a hot wire from the switch panel on the ceiling in the garage. I fished it thru and along the top above the beds and then drilled a hole to the outside. That’s just me, but I wanted the camera to be hot wired 24/7 with a cutoff switch in the garage.

Did you check your voltage with your truck running. Best place for rear camera is above the door, not at the bottom.
I installed ours by picking up a hot wire from the switch panel on the ceiling in the garage. I fished it thru and along the top above the beds and then drilled a hole to the outside. That’s just me, but I wanted the camera to be hot wired 24/7 with a cutoff switch in the garage.

Yes truck was running! I do want it above the door so will look into your suggestion.
Thanks, Don Porter
Manchester, Tn.
About to retire and hit the road!!!!!!!!

Oregon_Camper

I've never seen a rear camera at the license plate height. Why are you considering putting it there?

Here is the view of my camera, placed just below the marker lights.

Capture.jpg

SNOKING

Yes, LED clearance lights will help. You have to do the running lights and side lights also.

wdk450

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Cyclone, was installing a back-up camera. Was going to use the middle rear clearance light to get my 12 volts. Found out I only had 10-10.2volts. Question is if I replace all the running lights to LED would that help on the voltage drop or should I run a separate cable for feed to the camera and move it to the bottom next to the license plate??

I had the same problem. The LED clearance, tail, and licence plate lights did bring the voltage up some, but the best of all worlds is a separate 12 vdc power source. I tapped into the nearest infrequently used 12 volt source at the rear stabilizers switch. I mounted a small toggle switch for the tv camera power there. I have some fiberglass cable pulling rods from Harbor Freight Tools, pulled off the center clearance light and one of the side clearance lights to fish the wire down to the rear stabilizer switch. I used some bead chain attached to the rod end and magnets on short rods to help find the ends of the rods inside the clearance light holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-33-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65326.html

I had the same problem. The LED clearance, tail, and licence plate lights did bring the voltage up some, but the best of all worlds is a separate 12 vdc power source. I tapped into the nearest infrequently used 12 volt source at the rear stabilizers switch. I mounted a small toggle switch for the tv camera power there. I have some fiberglass cable pulling rods from Harbor Freight Tools, pulled off the center clearance light and one of the side clearance lights to fish the wire down to the rear stabilizer switch. I used some bead chain attached to the rod end and magnets on short rods to help find the ends of the rods inside the clearance light holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-inch-x-33-ft-fiberglass-wire-running-kit-65326.html
thanks for all the info...