Dometic toilet seat

DruidZ

We have a Dometic 320 toilet with a slow close seat and cover. We bought it brand new in the fall of 2017.

In the summer of 2019 the seat broke at the hinge. Dometic replaced it for free under warranty.

A year later it is broken again.

I am thinking of replacing it with the regular seat without the slow close. Does anyone have any experience with both or either. There are no valves or anything. The slow close seems to be simply friction. I wonder if a regular one would last longer. I realize that not forgetting to close it is more important in that case.

I am also considering buying a better toilet. Besides this issue the cap on the flush pedal keeps falling off. It makes me wonder if this is just your standard slap-together manufacturing that is getting all to common these days.

Our previous RV had a Thetford toilet. It seemed cheap an flimsy to me which is why we bought Dometic. We also considered a residential toilet but I am not sure that that is a good idea for an RV. On the other hand, replacing a seat on those is about 10% of the cost of a Dometic seat and can be picked up at the local hardware store.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Kathi-27

we replaced our toilet seats. just went to lowes and found one that we wanted. measured mounting holes to make sure they where correct.

danemayer

If you seriously consider a residential toilet, do the math on how much water is used for each flush to figure out how often you'll be dumping the tank. Also, measure carefully to make sure it'll fit without remodeling your bathroom.

carl.swoyer

We have a Dometic 320 toilet with a slow close seat and cover. We bought it brand new in the fall of 2017.

In the summer of 2019 the seat broke at the hinge. Dometic replaced it for free under warranty.

A year later it is broken again.

I am thinking of replacing it with the regular seat without the slow close. Does anyone have any experience with both or either. There are no valves or anything. The slow close seems to be simply friction. I wonder if a regular one would last longer. I realize that not forgetting to close it is more important in that case.

I am also considering buying a better toilet. Besides this issue the cap on the flush pedal keeps falling off. It makes me wonder if this is just your standard slap-together manufacturing that is getting all to common these days.

Our previous RV had a Thetford toilet. It seemed cheap an flimsy to me which is why we bought Dometic. We also considered a residential toilet but I am not sure that that is a good idea for an RV. On the other hand, replacing a seat on those is about 10% of the cost of a Dometic seat and can be picked up at the local hardware store.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
I ended up just doing a complete toilet rebuild to include the new toilet seat. I was unable to match the seat with the standard residential toilet seat. Nothing matched.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
we replaced our toilet seats. just went to lowes and found one that we wanted. measured mounting holes to make sure they where correct.

Yeah. What Kathi said. We have a “soft” close seat from Lowe’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLO

Get a top quality residential toilet seat by Kohler or Toto. Not cheap but you won’t have to come back here and ask which toilet seat to buy. Don’t think you’ll find a better RV toilet than the 320.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DruidZ

That's what we did. Went to Home Depot and bought a regular toilet seat. Not 100% perfect - we can't put that little back cover on - but it's close enough.