A shorter Landmark?

scott b

I was wondering if Heartland had explored the idea of a Landmark in shorter overall lentgh. With some of the other manufacturers of mid to high end coaches closing down it seems that Heartland has an oppertunity to fill the gap with a more user friendly high end product. I really like the Landmark , however at almost 40ft it is more than I am wanting to tow. I am not alone , there is a rising number of people on many of the RV forums that have interest in a higher end trailer that does not exceed 36ft. We truly like the Landmark and feel that Heartland is on there way to successful future in these trying times. As has been discussed here before the Landmark is just at the point where the wieght is enough that it should be towed with a dually. Nock off a few feet and a few hundred pounds and you now have a market for people that don't want a dually, and that can safely tow with a SRW. I don't want to get into a comparison war on brands but , if you look at Carriage or NuWa they don't even sell a trailer over 38 ft, most of the trailers these two companys sell are in the 32 to 36 ft range. I thought at one time that Landmark offerd a 34 ft model but was no longer available. Thanks Scott

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think that's a great idea. Even a couple floorplans similar to the 3055 and 3400 or 3370 would be very desirable.

scott b

One other thing to consider is fuel . Although it may not be a lot the ability to tow with a Srw and a little less weight will reflect in a fuel savings. Don't be fooled into thinking that are current fuel cost will last for very long. ..Scott

Tom of Ypsi

Heartland did have a shorter Landmark (Shenendoah, (sp)) and never saw one until Oct of this year. I kept looking at it thinking something looked different but could not place it. I finally caught up with the owners and when I got close to their coach I realized the length was the difference. I do believe it was 34".

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
A shorter model was exactly why we came out of a Doubletree 36TK3 to the 3055. That's a lot to wag around. Even with the proper tow vehicle( which we have) and the price of fuel coming down, a "36'" fiver is nearly 39-40 feet. Doubletree has changed their floor plans with a 34' model, this year. It's still a great unit, but Bighorn has as nice a unit, and for considerably less money. The quality of the Bighorn and the price was what we wanted. Granted, some of it is in the truck bed, but some places are hard to access with a 36' unit. While we really loved the Doubletree floorplan, our 3055 has an admirable and roomy living area and kitchen. The real difference is the bedroom. The 3055 doesn't have the same " walk-around" area, and we really miss the extra closet space that we took from the washer/dryer closet. Although the king bed was a must in whatever we decided to buy. We'll keep the '09 Bighorn for a few years and then see if the Landmark will come with a shorter version. If so, we'll probably move up, or down, as the case may be, in models. We're happy and loyal bighorn people, now

flamingknitter

I would also be very tempted by a shorter Landmark! I travel by myself, so my Augusta is kind of big for just me but.....When I started looking at the smaller ones, they weren't as nice on the interior. Seems like there is a big trade off in the RV industry - nice amenities=big size=big price. Low price=smaller rig=less amenities. This was one of the big factors in my decision to pass on a Class A. I had been looking for a smaller Class A but as the interiors improved, the length and price got bigger. The salesman asked if I had considered a fifth wheel and took me to an Augusta. I was a goner but was kind of scared about the overall size. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Augusta but would be really tempted by a shorter one. It would be perfect for the big cross country tour the family has planned in a couple of years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I bet there are some folks on this forum handy enough to "cut one down" if you are willing to loan them one to work with. LOL

jpmorgan37

Scott b;

I don't know if you are interested in a used Shenandoah, but here is a listing on one.Here Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

John

slaytop

I have a Shenandoah that I really like. The shorter length makes it possible to keep it inside a garage I rent. A quality unit shouldn't have to be impressively long. My only complaint is the pin weight. I expected it to be less than the longer units but found it to be more. If Heartland produces a shorter Landmark, I hope they distribute the weight differently than the Shenandoah so a 3/4 ton truck can safely handle the pin weight.