Yukon XL towability

Does anyone know the ability of the Yukon XL 1/2 ton 5.3L engine. The listed max GVWR for it is 7100. I am wanting the 09 Sundance 310QB, which has a GVWR 6900, Dry 5390, hitch 600, and length 33'8". It sure looks, by the numbers, that I can tow this trailer with my Yukon, but I wanted some feedback by other experienced travelers.

Thanks, Dan

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dan, does your Yukon have the factory tow package? You should be OK as far as the numbers go but if your carrying a lot in the Yukon, passengers, dogs supplies, you might go a bit over your GVRW. We had a Yukon, not XL and pulled a 27 ft TT with a tongue weight of 900#. I'm pretty sure we were overweight but it handled it and stopped it well. MPG was pretty dismal though at around 8 mpg. In tow haul it pretty much stayed in 3rd gear. Forget about overdrive.

Not sure what you mean by "tow package", but it did come with:

Z88 CONVERSION,GMC

Z71 OFF ROAD CHASSIS PKGVR4 HITCH,TRLR(WT DISTRIBUTING PLTF)
All other RPO codes for my Yukon either (do not exist??? can not find them referenced on any of the rpo code lists), or have nothing to do with a "tow package"

When I bought it, the salesman did say it came with the added feature of some sort of feature to keep the transmission cool when towing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Does anyone know the ability of the Yukon XL 1/2 ton 5.3L engine. The listed max GVWR for it is 7100. I am wanting the 09 Sundance 310QB, which has a GVWR 6900, Dry 5390, hitch 600, and length 33'8". It sure looks, by the numbers, that I can tow this trailer with my Yukon, but I wanted some feedback by other experienced travelers.

Thanks, Dan

Your numbers are similar to my '02 Avalanche that I pulled our previous 5100# dry wt. 27' TT with. With the stuff we put in it, it probably went closer to 5400 dry. With a weight distributing hitch, it was no problem, although mpg was around 10.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
thanks for your replies. Now to find a good weight distribution hitch with sway bars. Going to browse the forums.

Too bad you're on the other side of the country. I've got my old one and don't need it. Only thing lacking is the ball stud that mounts to the trailer tongue for the sway bar. Forgot to remove it when I traded in the trailer.

SFC-Eddy

My GMC 1/2t pickup with 5.3 pulls the 21FSB Northtrail with ease and we always have great control in severe conditions. MOST IMPORTANT: always include weight for basic stuff, ie: battery, LP tanks, front stowage. With 30 years of travel, 500 to 750 lbs. of all other items you will carry on board. Now you could be up to 1000lbs in addition to dry wt.
Overloading will create a safety issue and POOR MPG!!!