Beware of Command hooks - Interior paneling delaminating

pedirob

I've been using Command hooks and self-adhesive towel bars with reckless abandon to help store and organize stuff. Recently I found that the outer, patterned layer of the paneling is bubbling, causing the hooks to sag. I had reinstall everything with hollow wall anchors.

This only occurred in the bathroom, so maybe humidity and moisture have something to do with it. Not all of the hooks are affected - even some in the bathroom are still working fine.

I had planned to install some more hooks, but now I am hesitant.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks...Rob
2019 North Trail 24BHS

jmarnell

We have several things hung with Command strips, and haven't experienced the problem you have. But we don't have any in the bathroom, so you may have hit on the root problem of humidity in the bathroom.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had some on other walls, holding light picture frames. Same reaction. I will not use them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogie

I had the same problem on hooks that had a coat hung on them for a long period of time. The wall covering had pulled away leaving a bubble. I removed the command strip and let it sit (in hot weather). The wall covering eventually relaxed on it's own and is flat again. When I reinstalled the hooks (in a slightly different location on the same wall, I put one small screw in the top of the backing to hopefully prevent this form happening again. So far, so good. I know the screw sort of defeats the purpose. But it was a small screw, so if I ever removed the hook in the future, it will be easy cover the hole.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I've been using Command hooks and self-adhesive towel bars with reckless abandon to help store and organize stuff. Recently I found that the outer, patterned layer of the paneling is bubbling, causing the hooks to sag. I had reinstall everything with hollow wall anchors.

This only occurred in the bathroom, so maybe humidity and moisture have something to do with it. Not all of the hooks are affected - even some in the bathroom are still working fine.

I had planned to install some more hooks, but now I am hesitant.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks...Rob
2019 North Trail 24BHS
We do not hang aNYTHING BUT THE WALL BOARD IN THE DINNING SLIDE IS DELAMINATING, COMING RIGHT OUT. THAT AND THE WAINSCOTING RAIL THAT GOES UNDER THE WINDOWTHE LENGTH OF THE SLIDE HAS COMPLETED COME AWAY FROM THE WALL. PRETTY MUCH ALL CORNER MOULDING IS COMING LOSE.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Command hooks work if you drive a screw through them into a molly. Nothing but bad ju-ju with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynndiwagoner

The wall material is vinyl covered wood...I think. I imagine the glue on the command hooks is somehow reacting with the vinyl and causing it to come loose. When I applied some wallpaper to the walls I had to prime them first because they were vinyl. The best primer was Kilz Adhesive, not regular Kilz, which you can't get at any of the big box stores.....Amazon. This primer is so superior I used it on all of my kitchen cabinets before painting....it will stick to anything.