Television Reception

jpmorgan37

:confused: I am not able to get any UHF channels on my Olevia TV in the living room on the antenna, only VHF. I have the switch turned on antenna and the amplifier turned on. I get great all channel reception on my bedroom TV. It works great on the Satellite but it's set on channel 3. UHF reception doesn't change when I switch the amplifier on or off. All suggestions will be appreciated because we like to watch the local PBS station and can't get it on DirecTV.

John

jbeletti

John,

I do not have that TV in my rig, but I want to venture some ideas for you.

The TV antenna covers the VHF and UHF spectrums. So long as the Winegard video switch (which is really an RF switch) is on and you have good VHF TV antenna reception on any of the TVs, this is a good start.

Assuming also that you have strong enough UHF stations in the area to pick up, here's what I'd check first:

On the TV:
I'm not sure which model number you have, but the few I looked at all have a single "combined" TV Antenna signal input.

1. Make sure that Air is highlighted instead of Cable on Source in Setup Menu

2. And lastly, you may need to run the Auto Scan again.

Note that it is possible to receive local antenna TV signals when the TV is switched to Cable as the channel plan is very similar. However, UHF is one chunk of spectrum that will require the TV to be in Air (or Antenna on some TVs) mode to be able to tune to UHF stations.

Others will probably reply here with other ideas for you to try as well. Best of luck and let us know what the fix was.

Thanks,

Jim

jpmorgan37

Hi Jim;
Thanks for the info. I had the TV set for cable and as soon as I switched it to "Air" and did a channel search, I found more than I thought we had. And as a bonus, it still works on DirecTV without switching back to Cable. I knew that I had overlooked something simple; just needed someone to straighten me out.
Thanks again;

jbeletti

Glad it worked out well John. Flat TVs are the way to go in the livingroom of an RV. Wish I had one! Maybe next time. I saw some RVs at the last Chicago RV show that had some huge flat panel TVs in them.

Take care and consider joining us at the rally in June.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Jim Beletti said:
Take care and consider joining us at the rally in June.

Jim

Hi Jim;

You already have my check and have us in site 413. I'm looking forward to meeting you, all the Heartland owners and the factory folks that will be there. It should be fun.

John

Last edited:

jbeletti

John,

Ah yes - I just deposited it last Friday and did not have a chance to get out a confirming email to you and two others yet as we were out of town last weekend. See you in June!

Jim

bking

I am having a problems with TV antenna and satellite reception in the E/C with the Olevia TV. I have "Air" selected and have done a channel search several times. I get only a couple channels and they are weak signals that most of the time don't display. Meanwhile the BR TV is able to get 8-10 channels, 5-6 very clear.

I ran coax inside the coach from the back of the amp/splitter to the TV and am able to get good reception on most of the channels that the BR TV gets. This tells me the wire from the amp/splitter to the E/C TV is not carrying a good signal.

I get no satellite feed to my Dish receiver in the E/C when connected through the UDC. I verified I am NOT connected to the roof satellite wire. When I run the satellite cable from the satellite through a window and connect to the receiver, I get good satellite reception on the E/C TV. This tells me the wire from the UDC to the E/C TV is not carrying a good signal.

A friend of mine did a check and was not able to get any current to pass through the satellite cable from the UDC to the E/C wire. Since both the satellite and antenna cables are in the same wiring bundle to the E/C under the slide of my Golden Gate, I am wondering if they might be damaged such that the coax wire is severed in both cables somewhere along the way.

Any other thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or need to check?

Thanks.
Bob

jbeletti

Bob,

Perhaps those 2 cables running to the E/C from the UDC and the roof are mis-marked/reversed. Did you try both to see if you can get current to pass from the cables one of the jacks in the UDC?

Wild Wind and a couple others mentioned poorly crafted F-connectors on the back of wallplates. back of the Winegard RF switcher and maybe even at the back of the F-81s in the wall plate in the UDC. Mine were fine but maybe yours are bad??

Your trouble shooting methods sound great thus far. Unless already tried, I'd try to feed power (out of the sat. receiver input) to both loose cables in the E/C and check for voltage at both F81s in the UDC. If that's a no-go, sounds like a complete discontinuity. I have never removed them, but I know on my Landmark, I can get to the back of the UDC through the sliding bulkhead wall.

Hope it's something simple like a bad connector vs. broken wiring in the wall, flex guard or under the trailer. Let us know how this works out.

Thanks,

Jim

bking

This is the first chance I have had to investigate my connection problems since my last post.

I had my dealer look at the satellite connection problem and was told it was fixed. I'll test this out tomorrow. Since our current site has cable I decided to hook it up first to see if I even need to hook up my satellite receiver.

When I hooked cable up in the UDC, set Winegard switch to AUX, and did channel scan for cable, I received strong cable signals on BR TV but weak signals on the LR TV. I removed the panel by the Winegard switch and ran a new coax across the floor between the switch and the Dynaplex 2 way splitter on the LR TV. I got strong cable signals. Something bad in the installed coax from the switch to the LR TV. I replaced both connectors on the factory installed coax and still no good cable signal.

I connected the factory installed VHS coax between the switch and the LR TV. I get a strong cable signal on LR TV. I'll stick with this setup until I can get back home for my dealer to look at this again.

I'll let you know how the satellite setup goes.