Kitchen slide will not extend.

DirtyMax88

Morning everyone. I posted this on the FB group last night and thought i would try here this morning. I need some help troubleshooting a hydraulic slide issue. We have a LM365. Our kitchen slide will not extend. It sounds like it wants to engage when you toggle the switch, the slide will even come in ever so slightly, as if its operating correctly, but will not extended at all. Our dining slide and landing gear/leveling jacks work as they should (trailers level and other slide is completely out). No fluid leaks either. Double checked and nothing is wedged or blocking the slide. Also, from everything I can tell the gears and slide arms look good. Nothing broken or teeth missing. Weird thing is it extended and retracted perfect the last time we used it. I have not yet tried to extend the slide manually. Any thoughts or suggestions to look at first? Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The hydraulic cylinder for the slide is, bolted to the frame of your rig. If everything you have looked at seems to be normal I think it might be worth checking the attachment pints of that cylinder.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

On your LM, with individual slide switches, pressing a switch does 2 things: 1) sends power to the hydraulic pump motor to extend or retract, depending on which way you press the switch, and 2) opens the valve that allows hydraulic fluid to flow to or from the hydraulic ram.

If you hear the pump running, but no movement, the valve may not have opened. Could be a problem with the switch, wiring or valve. If you hear the pump motor "lugging" like it does if you hold one of the switches depressed for a few seconds after a slide is fully extended or retracted, that would be another indicator that the valve is not opening.

To test this theory, you can manually open the valve and then press the switch. On a LM with individual slide controls, the valves for the slides may be located on the pump assembly. You might have to call Lippert to get more definitive help on which valve and where it's located. An allen wrench will open/close the valve manually. Just remember to close the valve after you're done.

My guess is a switch problem. If you pull the switch away from the wall, before doing anything else, use your phone camera to take a good picture of how the wires attach. That way, if something unexpected happens, you can get them back in the right places.

cmalberto

My guess is a switch problem. If you pull the switch away from the wall, before doing anything else, use your phone camera to take a good picture of how the wires attach. That way, if something unexpected happens, you can get them back in the right places.

Just a thought...if it is a switch problem, could one either jump the wires OR even unplug the other switch(working one) and plug into that one?

wdk450

If you get under the slide and have someone activate just this slide, you should see some small movement of the ram either in or out due to the end play adjusted into the threaded end of the ram to the slide structure. This would give you some idea if your problem is with the hydraulic plumbing/ram or the slide structure being mechanically stuck. Look at the pictures on this Google search page: https://www.google.com/search?q=lip...VxHDQIHWTNBGwQ_AUoA3oECA0QBQ&biw=1341&bih=611 Again, I was unable to copy and paste an individual image because the Google search images are all .jfif files which the Heartland forum does not support.

You could measure with a voltmeter at the kitchen slide solenoid wires to see if they are getting activation voltage when the switch is depressed. You could also measure the solenoid coil with an ohmmeter (external connections removed) to see if the wiring is open inside.

A new 138417 solenoid valve with coil is about $150.

I think I have heard of banging lightly on the solenoid with a light tool while trying to operate the slide, in case the solenoid is mechanically stuck inside.