grill grommets

davelinde

The grill over the range on our Magic Chef range/oven is held in place by grommets. So far 3 of the 4 of them sheared apart and fell into the bottom of the range. So just now I took the fourth one out and let the grill just sit in the oversized holes.

Has this happened to anyone else? After the first one failed I was going to ask for new grommets but now that several have fallen apart I don't see the point. Anyone know if there's a re-design or something I can rig up myself?

flamingknitter

I have a Landmark and the same problem. Anxiously awaiting an answer. I have just been letting the grill ride in the huge holes.

Marybeth

SmokeyBare

Here is a possible Link to a source. RV Parts Super Store.

They sell a package of 8... enough for one complete replacement for both grill covers. They show a photo of the package. $ 5.39 per pack.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htm

Note: You will need to do a search on this link. The Grommets do not have a part number that I could find on their page. It's just listed as:
[ Grommet Pkg. Pkg 8 $ 5.39 ]

Problem I had when I did away with the rubber grommets on our other RV... the heat was too close to the grill cover... somehow... and caused damage to the porcelain material on the grill.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

davelinde

Here is a possible Link to a source.

that link doesn't work for me...

Thanks for the warning about damaging the grill with the heat though :(

Maybe we are unusual... but we actually USE our stove and oven to cook when we live in our RV so our expectations may be higher. ie -- I have read about people who use the oven for extra storage.... (ours is used 4-7 times per week)

jpmorgan37

Dave;
I had the problem early on (almost 3 years ago) and called my dealer and he sent me 4 new ones. I still have a couple of spares out of the initial batch. If your dealer can't get them for you, I would try calling Heartland customer service and see if they can tell you where to get them.

John

davelinde

...called my dealer and he sent me 4 new ones. I still have a couple of spares out of the initial batch.

I guess I was thinking that if one failed a new batch might help. But if 3 of 4 failed? Maybe once one goes the other three are under more stress and are vulnerable?

My dealer has been great about sending me various parts that needed replacing when they broke, so I can ask for sure.

jpmorgan37

Dave, one of the things that you might do that may help is to give them a shot of armorall or something like that once in a while. Keeping them slick to help the grill slide in easy is the best way to keep them from cracking or being pushed out.

Hope that helps,

John

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If all you are worried about is spacing of the grill above the flames, thread the appropriate nut size on the legs of the grill until the grill is level. Remove the grill when you travel or just lower the cover and drive on.

Clint

We had the same problem with our Bighorn, which has a Magic Chef oven in it.
This web sight carried all the parts needed and was very easy to use, just enter in the model # of your oven and it will take you to a schematic parts list, from which you can choose and order what you need.

http://www.partselect.com/

Clint

SmokeyBare

I did a better search using Goggle this time...

Here is a few more links I found. Maybe one or two will work ! Seems to me the prices are wide open... some sell 4 per pack... some sell 8 per pak.. I'm betting they could be found at local RV Dealers shops.

http://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/index.php?cPath=817_46 $ 6.30 Pack of 8

http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=11013F $ 4.88 Pack of 4

http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.asp?prodid=489482&showprevnext=1 $ 3.59 Pack of 4

http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.asp?prodid=489482&showprevnext=1 $ 3.54 Pack of 4

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been lucky so far and haven't lost any. BUT what about an auto store like auto zone or pep boys in the electrical area. they use very similar grommets to protect wiring running through firewalls etc. Just a thought because I've not had to look for any yet but that would be the first place I'd check.

SmokeyBare

I tried that idea Ray. All I could find had a far too big center hole.

If I could have found a plug type grommet I could have made a hole small enough in the center for the leg of the Grill.

The hole in the Range top is 1/2 inch... the grommet needs to have a small 1/8 inch hole in the center. Most electrical grommets are larger inside diameter.

Marv

missing grommet

Mine was missing when I picked it up but didn't notice for a few days. If I remember correctly I picked one up at Home Depot.

Delaine and Lindy

Call the manufactor of the range and tell them what you need. This is a very common problem. They will send you 4 replacements grommets. I also think we picked up some at C/W. GBY.....

bigredtruck

I was cleaning under the grill and one went under the element. Just had to lift it up to get it though. Our old SOB had the same problem - always losing them .

Shadowchek

Mine have fallen out but I haven't lost any yet. I wonder if we can put a little glue on them to hold them in place.

Greg

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would not put glue on the grommets. One of the things that has happened to the ones in my stove comes from the grill getting hot and melting or causing the grommet to become disfigurged (? flat, groved or oblong).
BC

SueJean

I realize that this thread is quite old, but I can't resist sharing something here that I learned about these "grill grommets" quite recently. (I can't remember if it was on this forum or another one.)

Our grommets fell apart on the back two legs early on and I basically just ignored it. We're not so great at getting our rig "on the level" anyway so having the stove top/grate on a slant is pretty minor. :rolleyes:

(I'm usually happy when the "lean" is such that the bathroom door isn't banging into me every time I go in!) :mad:

Anyway, I read somewhere about how these grommets are basically the same size as the bottoms of the valve stems that are on tires. Tire shops cut off these stems leaving a perfectly sized "grommet" and throw them away.

(Actually, they're all over the floor at the end of the day and get swept up and thrown in the trash!) :confused:

After reading this, I went to a tire shop next to the shop that was doing a check-up/transmission overhaul/oil change on our pick-up. As I looked around the floor, I could see these little rubber grommets everywhere.

As I explained what I was looking for and why, the guys start picking them up for me. (Sometimes it pays to be a girl!;)) :angel: They're the perfect size and shape and the exact right cost - FREE! I won't be needing to buy any any time soon!