Refridgerator Died Today

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
About a week ago, our fridge began to defrost on it's own.:eek: I discovered the reset on the thermal heat sensor had tripped. I reset the sensor and finished defrosting ( it was due anyway). Started it back up and while the freezer was working pretty good the lower half wouldn't get much above 44. Today it started to defrost again. I went out, removed the grill and there appeared to be a clear liquid seeping right through the galvanized shield over the burner flu. As it seeped down, it was drying below on the gas burner housing. It was cream colored junk almost the color of calcium deposits found in the water heater. If I can get some pictures tomorrow, I'll post them. I'm thinking the sealed unit is no longer sealed.:( I'll be calling Heartland and then probably Dometic tomorrow. The recall was done on this fridge in the spring. Oh Well!

roazo

Sundance Owner
Sounds like you will be getting a new Cooling unit. Lets us know how this turns out. I'm still not happy with mine but is not leaking.l

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It should be under warranty...doesn't the fridge come with a 2 year warranty?

It comes with a 3 year warranty , BUT the 3rd year is for parts only. I recieved a renewal for a warranty extension or I would not have know either.....Kenny

Ray LeTourneau

The reefer is under warranty but only for parts. The warranty is 2 years parts and labor and the 3rd years is parts only. After spending some time on the phone with Dometic, I'm still scratching my head. Why would a company issue a recall on something if it isn't a defect? Their stance is the recall was only issued "just in case" a problem developed and will not cover the labor for this repair. I said, it doesn't make sense to replace a defective part with another one that may become defective again. Where's the logic in that? Well anyway the wheels are turning and I've sent pictures to the service center in hopes I don't have to haul the rig in for someone to just look at it and say "yup, you need it fixed". Here are the pics I took this morning. The one is only to show the service center the recall had been done. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• To show recall complete.jpg
    To show recall complete.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 91
  • with shield removed.jpg
    with shield removed.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 97

Shadowchek

The recall is done to cover there butt in case it causes a rig to burn down or there is no way they would pay all of that money to do it.

Greg

Ray LeTourneau

The parts have arrived. Camper Clinic in Rockport will be installing the new cooling unit next Tuesday. I had sent pictures to Dometic and they allowed Camper Clinic to order the part without doing a visual diagnosis on our reefer. That saved us a bit of time and fuel. Thanks to Dometic for that. I'll follow up after the repair is complete. Something I noticed a bit later was the decal on the heat shield started to turn brown down on the bottom of the decal. If you look at the picture in my earlier post you can see the decal. It looks like it got pretty warm down there. May have even been a short fire???

Ray LeTourneau

Reefer is back in service

New cooling unit installed today. Completed by 3PM and by 7 PM the freezer was at zero. It has never been that cold in the 2 plus years we've owned it. Dropped the thermostat setting back to a 2. Moving the thermometer down to the lower section to see where we are temperature wise. The lead tech at the servicing dealer said Dometic had improved the replacement cooling units but they still add the recall kit as a "precautionary measure". Call me a Happy Camper;) at this point. I only wish it had failed a few months earlier.