2012 Bighorn 3585rl Changing Queen to King

Has anyone attempted to change a Queen size bed to a king in their 5th wheeler? I have a small bed stand that next to the Queen that I can definitely see I can put a smaller stand with a countertop to match then I can accommodate the King bed. I'm wondering if anyone's tried to modify their setup towards the king Bed size? Or do think the Heartland Corporation would be able to help?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would think if there’s enough clearance for the slide that simply enlarging the mattress platform is all you need. Consideration must also be given to how much clearance is needed at the foot of the bed, as well. The added weight is not likely to be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

In both our landmark, and our big horn we went the opposite direction. We went from a king to a queen.

Seems as if the plywood for what your going to do, is an additional 16 inches wider. Brake out your tape measure and see how much room your going to loose. Its doesnt sound like a lot. But when you make the change its huge.

JohnDar

I would think that if you have some carpentry skills this would not be too difficult.

If you do enlarge the platform with plywood, get some corner molding to dress the edges and glue/attach it to the overhanging plywood. That will prevent you from suffering splinters when making the bed and rubbing your legs against the edges. The fake wood, foam core type works well. And get some cheap vinyl self-stick tiles and tile the platform (use a sealer on the wood). That will make moving the mattress easier when making the bed.

Although our bed platform was a king, dressing the edges and tiling the platform was well worth the effort.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We had a 3585 and it had a king bed with the night stand. There should be enough room but you might have to move the night stand.

cashmore

Just a thought as i'm reading this, i'm not sure of the layout of that unit but make sure that the slides, when retracted, are not going to push on any additional platform you construct.

JohnDar

In our 3670, the king mattress contacted the dresser, but the platform was still a couple of inches from it. So, you could allow the mattress to overhang the platform a little, if necessary. Take measurements and observe the current platform position before deciding on doing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You folks are absolutely correct. Space is the issue if I go that route, it's not worth it. It'll remain as a Queen, I have enough projects.
Thank you