Dometic Refrigerator

Hey Jim B,
It's been a while since I've been on the site, it's good still seeing your name here, I've glanced through the forums and not seen an anwser to a question I posed to Heartland.
The recalled Dometic refrigerator in our Heartland Landmark failed due to a boiler tube crack, I and the service company performing the recall contacted Dometic, there reply to me was the refrigerator is out of warrenty and the problem is mine, the unit is over three years old, I feel Dometic should share some responsibility, but I don't see that being the case, can anyone tell me if a new part has been issued to replace the failed tube that does not have the stress issues, or if a differant manufactures refrigerator can replace the one I own that may not have the same saftety issues.

Thanks, Dennis French

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dennis, here is what I have learned so far. I am currently going through the same problem with my Dometic. The Boiler tube failed on ours just last Sunday. I have contacted Dometic. Our unit is 2-1/2 years old and falls under the normal warranty which is 2 years parts & labor and the 3rd year is parts only, no labor. As I understand it, I will be getting my reefer repaired but the replacement parts are the same as the one that failed. This makes no sense to me and I have written to Dometic to plead my case but have not yet received a response. Dometic told me the recall was intended as a precaution and are not admitting that there is any defective parts. While I disagree, it appears I won't have any options at this point. In other words if your reefer made it 3 years, you are on your own. The good news is I've been looking at a replacement that is not a n RV fridge but a small apartment style unit. They measure 24" wide X 60" high and 27" deep. They should fit with no problems and one of these will be replacing our reefer in the event it fails again. They are available at Sears in either 2 door or single door. The 2 door was frost free or had an auto defrost. Not sure about that. There are others available. Do a web search for compact refrigerators. Sorry to give you news you didn't want to hear. By the way, our reefer was the 10 cu. ft. NDR1062 w/ ice maker.

Tom of Ypsi

I was talking to a repair guy here in the Rio Grande Valley and he prefers the Norcold to the Dometic. He has had a lot of refers needing repairs this winter season, more than other years and the Norcold is easier to work on and less problems. He states both companies are good to work with but DO NOT give any more than what the warranties state. I know this does not help your situations but just thought you should know. If/when mine goes out I too will be looking at the apartment style refers. Good luck with your refers.

Dometic refigerator

I have been looking at home depot, at there small friges, it looks like a nice unit. the only problem I can see is I do a lot of pulling, I don't believe you could run it while your on the road, but I very rarely would boondock. If Dometic hasn't corrected there problem, I will be going this way.
Thanks for the replies.

Dennis

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have been looking at home depot, at there small friges, it looks like a nice unit. the only problem I can see is I do a lot of pulling, I don't believe you could run it while your on the road, but I very rarely would boondock. If Dometic hasn't corrected there problem, I will be going this way.
Thanks for the replies.

Dennis
Dennis, I think you should be good for at least 6 hours on the road without worry. I don't know how many watts those reefers pull but maybe an inverter would be an option to plug the fridge into while on the road?

vangoes

I was browsing around a rv lot a few months ago and found that Coachman is now putting regular house type refrigerators in some of their units. I questioned the fact about cooling while on the road. Apparently with two batteries and the charging of the tv to the unit while underway an inverter is adequate to keep the refrig running. If you do not do a lot of dry camping this seems like it could potentially be much better than the rv type refrigerators. I have an neighbor that has a highend motorhome and it has a large residential type two door refrig/freezer in it. He loves it.