Mice

BarbandFrank

We have mice in our rig. They chewed through the wall near the electric cord in our bedroom slide and scurried across the bed into the opposite wall. We hear them in our ceiling as well.

We read a lot of posts here about what to do to keep mice out - including sealing holes and using Mouse Free. We bought Fresh Cab and set out traps along the floor. The mice have not yet taken the bait in the traps.

Is there a way to access the ceiling so we can set more traps? We are desperate - we are full-time and never encountered this problem before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

RoadJunkie

You have listed the remedies for mouse infestation, use peanut butter for bait, if you don't already. Don't put the cab fresh next to the traps, it keeps the mice away from the trap. Buy/borrow a cat.

Flick

We have mice in our rig. They chewed through the wall near the electric cord in our bedroom slide and scurried across the bed into the opposite wall. We hear them in our ceiling as well.

We read a lot of posts here about what to do to keep mice out - including sealing holes and using Mouse Free. We bought Fresh Cab and set out traps along the floor. The mice have not yet taken the bait in the traps.

Is there a way to access the ceiling so we can set more traps? We are desperate - we are full-time and never encountered this problem before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If it is as you are describing, I wouldn’t wait another day without taking decisive measures to get rid of these critters. I would secure a good pest control company to come in and proceed to make your rv mouse free. At the rate these critters reproduce, you’ll be overrun in no time. If they die in your ceiling or walls, things get worse. They should also give you tips on how to keep them out.
Do some research, perhaps thru others and pick a company with good reviews so you don’t get taken by a crook and get the guarantee for the work in writing.
Or you can fight them yourself. It’s possible but difficult when you have them in the walls and ceiling.

BarbandFrank

You might try removing the A/C vent covers to place traps.

Dan,

Can you tell me what is above the ceiling? I envision the a/c vents are attached to ducts - so how would that work. Would the mice have to chew through the duct to get to the mouse trap?

Frank

danemayer

Dan,

Can you tell me what is above the ceiling? I envision the a/c vents are attached to ducts - so how would that work. Would the mice have to chew through the duct to get to the mouse trap?

Frank
Frank,

You probably have an aluminum support framework with styrofoam filling the space. If so, I think on yours, the ducts may be just a channel in the styrofoam. Hard to say what the entry path would have been. It's possible the mice are running through those channels. You might check the vents that come up through the roof to see if there are any gaps. The mice may have chewed or clawed new channels in the styrofoam.

sengli

we had mice briefly last fall. peanut butter and traps killed them within days. luckily we caught them very early on and only had like three of them. ours was looking for TP or tissues for bedding as well.
Our vermin came in I think on our power cord. Thru the belly, then into the living space via the plunbing runs under our sinks. They were going for the tissue for bedding like crazy. It only took 10 minutes for the first trap to kill one. It was super fast. Our food stuffs were intentionally always removed from the RV.

Last edited:

BarbandFrank

Frank,

You probably have an aluminum support framework with styrofoam filling the space. If so, I think on yours, the ducts may be just a channel in the styrofoam. Hard to say what the entry path would have been. It's possible the mice are running through those channels. You might check the vents that come up through the roof to see if there are any gaps. The mice may have chewed or clawed new channels in the styrofoam.

Dan,

We pulled off the vent covers and saw the styrofoam and we placed many traps in the ceiling. Couldn’t use conventional spring loaded traps because there is not enough vertical clearance. So we put in glue traps and hope that works. We will check them frequently because we know what happens when mice get stuck in glue traps.

Thanks for your help - we hope to catch them soon!

Frank

- - - Updated - - -

we had mice briefly last fall. peanut butter and traps killed them within days. luckily we caught them very early on and only had like three of them. ours was looking for TP or tissues for bedding as well.

We are doing the same - using a tiny dab of peanut butter in each trap and keeping our fingers crossed. We are in northern Illinois in a campground surrounded by farms and cornfields and the weather is starting to cool off so they are looking to stay warm.

jerryjay11

You might also try one of those electronic deterrence devises. I have used them for the past 6 years or so and never had a problem with mice anymore. The high pitch sound is an irritant to them and chases them away. We use two in our 30 foot camper.

BarbandFrank

You might also try one of those electronic deterrence devises. I have used them for the past 6 years or so and never had a problem with mice anymore. The high pitch sound is an irritant to them and chases them away. We use two in our 30 foot camper.

Thanks Jerry - will try anything at this point!

RickL

We also full time and are currently camp hosting at Dead Horse Point State Park by Moab in Utah. We had a mouse infestation too. I put traps by every corner of the slides, put them behind the drawers in the kitchen/island, by the garbage can, underneath the bathroom sink. I caught 17 of the little bast. . ... what helped the most was the other camphost came up with a 5 gallon bucket, a wire across the top, a water battle smeared in the center with peanut butter mounted on the wire so it can spin, and the bucket filled to about a third. In the month since they have put them out they have caught 160 mice. We have not had one mouse in the last two weeks. I keep the traps with fresh bait every week. Good luck on your problem.

BarbandFrank

We also full time and are currently camp hosting at Dead Horse Point State Park by Moab in Utah. We had a mouse infestation too. I put traps by every corner of the slides, put them behind the drawers in the kitchen/island, by the garbage can, underneath the bathroom sink. I caught 17 of the little bast. . ... what helped the most was the other camphost came up with a 5 gallon bucket, a wire across the top, a water battle smeared in the center with peanut butter mounted on the wire so it can spin, and the bucket filled to about a third. In the month since they have put them out they have caught 160 mice. We have not had one mouse in the last two weeks. I keep the traps with fresh bait every week. Good luck on your problem.

Wow - just wow! What a great way to get rid of mice! We might consider doing that here.

The mice in our rig are in the ceiling and we placed glue traps in just about every a/c vent. We use Fresh Cab inside our drawers, cabinets and closets and this has kept them out of the living part of the rig. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Hope you are enjoying Utah. We spent five weeks there during April and May this year. We didn’t get to Moab because the county was prohibiting visitors due to Covid. We hope to get there next spring.

mlpeloquin

Hope you put a very small dab, on tenth of a green pea, of peanut butter on the sticky traps. That will attract them to try and get to the "death" prize.

RickL

Wow - just wow! What a great way to get rid of mice! We might consider doing that here.

The mice in our rig are in the ceiling and we placed glue traps in just about every a/c vent. We use Fresh Cab inside our drawers, cabinets and closets and this has kept them out of the living part of the rig. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Hope you are enjoying Utah. We spent five weeks there during April and May this year. We didn’t get to Moab because the county was prohibiting visitors due to Covid. We hope to get there next spring.

This is our 3rd year of camp hosting here, but absolutely the worst for mice. We have never had any luck using sticky pads. The ones we tried this year only had mouse turds on the stupid things. The best trap we have found is a plastic style, not cheap 2/$5, but they have “teeth” on them. I wipe them down after each catch and reuse them. The camp hosts next to us are using the old wood style and toss them after every catch.

BarbandFrank

This is our 3rd year of camp hosting here, but absolutely the worst for mice. We have never had any luck using sticky pads. The ones we tried this year only had mouse turds on the stupid things. The best trap we have found is a plastic style, not cheap 2/$5, but they have “teeth” on them. I wipe them down after each catch and reuse them. The camp hosts next to us are using the old wood style and toss them after every catch.

Rick,

We would like to use those types of traps - but the mice are in the ceiling and we do not have enough vertical clearance for those traps. We measured just a little over 1-1\2” of space in the vent openings. We still haven’t caught any - they are outsmarting us.

Frank

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rick,

We would like to use those types of traps - but the mice are in the ceiling and we do not have enough vertical clearance for those traps. We measured just a little over 1-1\2” of space in the vent openings. We still haven’t caught any - they are outsmarting us.

Frank

Set your traps in the basement area and use peanut butter for bait. They'll come to it. Get some black spray foam and some wire screening. Use that to fill any gaps in the frame or between the frame and coroplast. You can cut up old inner tubes or buy some rubber sheet to make covers for hydraulic ram openings. Those you may have to use sheet metal screws to attach. They may be in your A/C ducts, but they didn't parachute into them. Most likely got in from below, up a wall channel from the basement.

BarbandFrank

Set your traps in the basement area and use peanut butter for bait. They'll come to it. Get some black spray foam and some wire screening. Use that to fill any gaps in the frame or between the frame and coroplast. You can cut up old inner tubes or buy some rubber sheet to make covers for hydraulic ram openings. Those you may have to use sheet metal screws to attach. They may be in your A/C ducts, but they didn't parachute into them. Most likely got in from below, up a wall channel from the basement.

John,

Last night we pulled out the basement wall and placed traps with peanut butter - hope that does the trick. Although we have glue traps in every a/c duct in the ceiling - there is no evidence of mice in the ducts. But we still hear them in the ceiling, and now we wonder if there is open space above the ducts. We purchased steel wool and other supplies and will do as you suggested.

Thanks,

Frank

BarbandFrank