internal floorplan dimensions?

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

As I write this the outside of my house looks like a snow globe. :)

Is it possible to get some details on the internal floorspace and such of the Bighorn? I know that the external width is ~8 feet and that the walls are ~2" thick, but I'm not sure if the floorplan image in the brochure and on the website is exactly to scale.

We're still leaning towards the 3055RL but need to make sure it has adequate space in the living room and the bedroom. Can someone supply me with some sort of a more-detailed diagram?

Thanks,
Chris

ChopperBill

I guess it all depends how you think adequate is. Ours is adequate but I would still like more room but don't want to pull one any longer because we double pull sometimes. Renee is pretty active and cant sit still for 2 minutes so at times the Taj Mahal wouldn't be adequate! :eek: Best thing to do is find one and sit in it a while. I dont think mocking the area up in your house would do the same thing.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Chris
we love our 3055. We do not live full time in it, but for 3 months at a time it seems right. Beverly quilts and "takes up some room" with sewing machine, cutting boards etc there is still room for my ham radio and laptop.
I think it mostly would be, on how much room you take up....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chris, the detail and scale of the floorplan image you see in a brochure or on the Heartland website is very close. I don't know what the scale is. The 3055 is a very popular model. In fact I think it was #1 until the 3670 came out. Maybe an owner will chime in with some dimensions but the best way to tell if it will fit your needs is to see one in person. We have a 3400RL and are full time. Our living area is very adequate but we've learned to really scale back on things. We got rid of both the factory chairs and sofa sleeper and replaced them with one lazy Boy and a Loveseat recliner from Ashley. That gave us room in the corner for Lin's craft stuff. We have a freezer in the bedroom closet where the Combo W/D would have gone. The best thing we try to do is put things away where they belong so we aren't cluttered. Gives us a sense of having more space. Good Luck with your decision and go shovel some of that snow :)

Just to echo what everyone else here has said.. we looked at both the 3670 and 3600RL..before buying and did get to see the 3670 live..however we did not see the 3600 before buying. We made the decision in favor of the 3600 because it offers a bit more living room space. The 3670 gives more counter space, but we did not see ourselves spending alot of time in the kitchen. We made our decision comparing the two floor plans in the brochure. When we finally saw our 3600..we were NOT disappointed. The brochure indeed represented the actual model, very well. Good luck

wyleyrabbit

Thanks for that everyone.

The reason we're re-examining our (likely) choice in models is that life has thrown us a bit of a "curve ball". I'm very pleased to announce that on or about June 30th 2009, we will be welcoming a new son or daughter to our family. Our 8 year old son is still digesting this new information, but he's been begging his mom and me for the past 4 years or so. Anyways, we're now in week 14 of the pregnancy, so I'm now finally allowed to share the news. :-D

This, of course, necessitates room for a playpen to be in the living room of the 3055RL while the hide-a-bed is open. I think we probably need at least 40" x 40", plus maybe an extra foot of walking room. Will it fit?

Thanks,
Chris

SmokeyBare

WyleyRabbit,

You may want to consider a "Co-Sleeper" instead of the Play Pen. They tend to be somewhat smaller and they do fold up for storage when not in use.

The size I seen... at SimplyBabyFurniture.com... measured 40" x 28" x 31" and has a weight limit of 30 lbs in the co-sleeping position and 50 lbs. when used as a play yard.

When it's packed away for storage in it's own bag... The entire Co-Sleeper, changing table and playard fold up into a 10" x 10" x 32" nylon carrying case.

Just a thought... The 3055 is some what shorter in the living area... than our 3400... but I'm sure it will do fine with the Blessed addition to your Family. Congratulations too !! :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Woooopie

Chris, congrads to you and the wife. Sounds to me like you need a 3400RL. A few bucks more than a 3055 but has more living area and only a couple of feet longer. The best part is you can still pull it with 3/4tn truck. Bob:D

Last edited:

ibrick

Congratulations Chris!

One thing I thought of was that the couch/hide-a-bed, in the open position, will not allow you easy access into the living area of the unit.

We have to turn the couch/bed towards the rear of the unit a bit to get enough room to pass by the corner of the open hide-a-bed and the corner of the cabinet. The more you turn the bed towards the end of the unit, the more room you will have between the bed and cabinet.

I don't have the BigHorn here otherwise I could get you some measurements but with the bed open, I think your really going to be using most of the living room with a 40X40 playpen with the required 1 foot of clearance that will be at an angle now to the rest of the unit, may even jeopardize the use of one of the recliners if in an extended position.

Not to be a party pooper, but just a heads up. Maybe someone else with their 3055 close could check these measurements for you. I'm just getting a gut feel that this is going to be close.

Last edited:

BobSue

HI Chris and congratulations.

I went out and took some measurements on my 3055RL. It is in the shed so the slides were not all the way out so some of these measurements are really additions and subtractions. (wish I had a simple drawing program, I could draw it up.) I will try to describe in words.

The inside width of the RV is 93". The entertainment slide is 30" deep. The couch slide is 36" deep. The hide-a-bed (hab) is 76" long when opened. It is 72.5" wide across the arms. With 60" between the arms. The counter sticks out from the wall 52.5".

Anyway, 36" + 93" + 30" is 159". Subtract 76 for the hab and 18" for the desk and that leaves 65" clear between the hab and the desk. That leaves room for your 40x40 pen plus a narrow walk way. It looked to me like it would fit.

ibrick is correct. When the hab is open I have to step over the corner of the hab to reach the desk area. There is NO room between the hab and the counter. I haven't tried angling the hab. That would make access easier, but would eat into the area for the play pen.

Your best bet is to get to a dealer and put your own tape on it. It will be snug.

That said, we love our 3055RL. The perfect combination for us of not too big and not too small.

Good luck.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Have 1 already and a bun in the oven..... You need to look at bunk houses or lofts LOL.

or give the 3410RE a look with it's really open living area floor plan.

wyleyrabbit

Everyone,

Thanks for the congrats and all the great info. My wife says the playpen is not as big as I thought. I will dig it out and measure it exacly.

On another note, as I write this, our new 9 week old black lab-x puppy is laying at my feet. We picked her up just yesterday. I hope she loves camping as much as our last dog did. :)

Cheers
Chris

wyleyrabbit

A quick update: this past weekend, we arranged to have a 3055RL hooked up to power so we could come in with our foldout playpen and see how much room there is. Turns out, there's tons of room even with the hide-a-bed folded out and the playpen set up. YES! :)

Chris