Sundance 3300SK - 15" Wheels

Just put a 2009 3300SK on hold and wanted some feedback. This "in stock" unit has the 15" wheels and I'm assuming less than 6000# axles. I see the option of 16" wheels and 6000# axles. Assuming I'm stuck with 15" wheels should I be expecting some sort of problems? In other words what are the advantages of the 16" wheels and will I kick myself if I don't have them?

jnbhobe

16" wheels

Scot, I looked at the 3300SK specs. It says 5200lbs axels and 15" wheels 225R 75 X 15 LR-D tires. The Optional axel is 6000lbs with 16" allumimum wheels And I would assume 235-80-R-16 tires. Maybe you can get the dealer to swap them out?? TRAVELER07 Rick on the forum and on the Chat has changed his wheels and tires to 16" he can tell you more,He's on here most nights.That said WELCOME to the Heartland family!!!:):) JON

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Scot, I Have a 3200ES that is going on its third year with the 15 tires and rims. I have not had a tire failure yet or axle problem. I check my air pressure and tire conditions before each trip. You have to make your own decisions. If you order the 16" wheel and axle option I am sure it is still going to be chinese tires. I am sure you will enjoy your new Sundance.
Randy

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hello Scot,As Jon(jnphobe) said yes we changed our 15" wheels and tires to 16" wheels and Goodyear tires for ht. clearence, and that added more for the tires wt.limit.The factory 15" tires were over the tire wt cap.on the off door side due to large kitchen slide bedroom slide and bathroom,all on the off door side.The 15 "tires went from Mich to Idaho and back to Mich plus extra miles to Branson from Mich and back to Mich, with no prob we still have the 5,000 lb axels and had no prob.with axels and we are fulltiming hope this helps you on your decision we love our sundance TRAVELER07

fishn2dmax

If you're in a position to get the 16" rims and 6000lb axles, I would do it in a heartbeat!!! No matter how folks try to justify it, that size and weight of trailer with just normal loading is going to max out or be very close to the max rating of the average 15" ST D load rated tire. Why not get the extra piece of mind of having a little extra carry capacity and not have to worry about the 15" tire loading ( blow out) issues that so many people are experiencing with 15" ST tires. Many blow-outs are being blamed on the china bomb tires, while there is no question in my mind the mainland chinese tires are very suspect in quality, the biggest issue that causes most tires to fail is heat. A tire going down an already hot road at or near its weight capacity is just a time bomb ready to explode.

I would definetly go with the 16" / 6000lb axles on that model. Yes, you will still need to replace the OEM China Bombs, but you can replace them with quality 16" LT or ST series tires. If you don't, I promise you at some point in the future, you'll wish you had!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome!
I can't say much about your axle question, but I can invite you to the Oregon rally at Winchester Bay June 12-15.

Here is a link to the thread with all the info. I hope you can join us there.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=7549

Kristy