PDA

View Full Version : Heartland is recalling 2019-2021 Cyclone & 2020-2021 Bighorn Traveler trailers

Dmetcalf
09-09-2020, 09:59 AM

I called and had to leave a voicemail with Heartland. I wasnít sure if anyone else was aware if this.

Matt750
09-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up. If I hear anything, Iíll post it in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmetcalf
09-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up. If I hear anything, Iíll post it in this thread.

thank you.

akfoote
09-09-2020, 02:44 PM
Wow.. thanks for the heads up.

We just ordered our Cyclone 4006. Hopefully those coming off the line now will have the recall addressed and a proper fix in place.

- Kevin

Dmetcalf
09-10-2020, 05:41 PM
I had to leave a vm on a Tuesday with Heartland and I have not received any reply yet. I guess they must not be very concerned about it ..? Iíll try again on Friday.

danemayer
09-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Keep in mind the announcement says there is not yet a schedule for repairs. Btw, it's pretty common for the announcement to precede schedule and notifications by some number of weeks. On our truck, I often read about a recall and it's 2-3 months before getting a notification.

wdk450
09-10-2020, 08:40 PM
I would think about putting supporting jackstands next to the front landing gear legs, carrying the frame I- beams, until this gets fixed.

SNOKING
09-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Note it says Bighorn Traveler travel trailers. 2020-2021 MY.

zolman
09-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Just called Heartland Customer Support. As of 12PM 9/11/2020 they know nothing about this recall.

LBR
09-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Just called Heartland Customer Support. As of 12PM 11/11/2020 they know nothing about this recall.

November 11th?

'Lil Guy'
09-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Wondering how this slipped past their new quality control system. At least these rigs shouldn't have any leaks at the seals.

david-steph2018
09-11-2020, 04:47 PM
Just sitting here and wondering, the Cyclone is built on the same line as the Road Warrior, with the same frame, landing gear, how does this not bleed over to the Road Warriors or other models? Even how about the other toy haulers built on the same line built with different frames?

danemayer
09-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Just sitting here and wondering, the Cyclone is built on the same line as the Road Warrior, with the same frame, landing gear, how does this not bleed over to the Road Warriors or other models? Even how about the other toy haulers built on the same line built with different frames?

I'm not sure the frames are exactly the same between Cyclone and Road Warrior. AJ pointed out a Cyclone frame enhancement to me a couple of years ago. The arrow in the photo points to the additional framing at upper right (also left). While this is on the upper section of the frame, it's part of the frame assembly that comes in from Lippert. It's possible RW has the same, but it was described to me as a Cyclone enhancement. So I suspect the frames may be different.

david-steph2018
09-11-2020, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure the frames are exactly the same between Cyclone and Road Warrior. AJ pointed out a Cyclone frame enhancement to me a couple of years ago. The arrow in the photo points to the additional framing at upper right (also left). While this is on the upper section of the frame, it's part of the frame assembly that comes in from Lippert. It's possible RW has the same, but it was described to me as a Cyclone enhancement. So I suspect the frames may be different.

Our RW has the same double frame in the pin box area. During the tour in 2019 we were told because of the weight of the units as compared to the other smaller, lighter toy haulers. I wonder were the area is that is giving problems.

Apachegw
09-24-2020, 09:21 AM
This was just posted. Also I verified with my dealer and he was just made aware of this recall. Not sure what to do next. Maybe call Heartland and get on list.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCAK-20V521-8346.pdf

Makes/Models/Model Years: HEARTLAND/BIGHORN TRAVELER/2020-2021
HEARTLAND/CYCLONE/2019-2021

Mfr's Report Date: August 28, 2020
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V-521

Components: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE/TRAILERSTRUCTURE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,168
Problem Description: Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC (Heartland) is recalling certain 2019-2021 Cyclone and 2020-2021 Bighorn Traveler recreational trailers. Due to insufficient bracing, the front landing legs may buckle and collapse while the trailer is parked.
Consequence: If the landing legs buckle, the trailer will drop unexpectedly, increasing the risk of property damage, personal injury or death.
Remedy: Heartland will notify owners, and dealers will install a jack bracket to reinforce the landing legs, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a recall schedule. Owners may contact Heartland customer service at 1-877-262-8032.

cashmore
09-24-2020, 09:52 PM
I need to call Heartland about some other issues on my new Cyclone, I guess i'll be adding this to the list.

MCStreete
02-21-2021, 09:13 AM
Would anyone have pictures of the landing gear brace? I was able to get ahold of Heartland, explained to them we were unable to take our Cyclone to the repair shop do to we are full time living. Surprisingly they told they work with any moble service to get this done. I wasn't able to get a moble service tech out do to not trusting the manufacturer.

danemayer
02-21-2021, 01:17 PM
Would anyone have pictures of the landing gear brace? I was able to get ahold of Heartland, explained to them we were unable to take our Cyclone to the repair shop do to we are full time living. Surprisingly they told they work with any moble service to get this done. I wasn't able to get a moble service tech out do to not trusting the manufacturer.

If you're trying to say that the mobile service tech doesn't want to accept payment directly from Heartland, you should call Heartland back with a quote from the servicer and ask if Heartland will reimburse you for that amount.

cashmore
02-24-2021, 11:46 PM

I just had mine done at the heartland factory along with some other warranty work. Itís incredibly easy to add the brace and shims. I can get some pictures in the next couple of days if you still would like them. I have to let the snow settle a little bit.

Matt750
02-25-2021, 08:25 AM
I just had mine done at the heartland factory along with some other warranty work. Itís incredibly easy to add the brace and shims. I can get some pictures in the next couple of days if you still would like them. I have to let the snow settle a little bit.

Yes, I think we would all like to see pictures when convenient.

MCStreete
02-25-2021, 08:56 AM

Pictures would be great, I understand about the snow.

cashmore
02-28-2021, 10:21 AM
Good morning all, sorry for the delay in getting these pictures posted, I had to wait for some snow to melt here so I could get them.

I've added some pictures of what the Heartland factory (repair center) in Elkheart did for the recall on my 2020 Cyclone. There is a double crossmember that bolts to each of the front landing gear legs using 4 bolts 2 on the front and 2 on the back of the leg with a couple of shims behind it. It appears as though they are just tying the two landing gear legs together. If you're looking for something specific that isn't included here, let me know and i'll try and get some different photos.

I was told that its because they re-designed the frame in 2019 and they removed the slight angle from where the landing gear mounts which can cause undue stress and possible collapse, so they designed the crossmember to tie everything together to give more strength. Again this is just what I was told.

This link at NHTSA https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V521-9835.pdf contains the repair instructions that appear to be from Heartland.

cookie
02-28-2021, 10:36 AM
Did they weld that square tubing to the I-beam frame?

Peace
Dave

cashmore
02-28-2021, 11:16 AM
Did they weld that square tubing to the I-beam frame?

Peace
Dave

No. There is about a 1/2" gap between the I-Beam and the new square tubing. All it appears to do is tie the two landing gear legs together and not really add more points connecting them frame.

Chad

MCStreete
02-28-2021, 12:18 PM
No. There is about a 1/2" gap between the I-Beam and the new square tubing. All it appears to do is tie the two landing gear legs together and not really add more points connecting them frame.

Chad
Thanks for the pictures, it looks straightforward. What was the time frame on start to finish?

cashmore
02-28-2021, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the pictures, it looks straightforward. What was the time frame on start to finish?

I had my unit in for other issues as well such as a crack in the side wall and some other warrantee work as well as some work Lippert had to come out and do for spring hangers so it was there for about 15 days in total. As a side note I was very very happy with the Heartland's repair facility, they were great to work with and went beyond the things on my list and corrected items that I didn't even catch myself. If you read the PDF that is available at the link that I posted, it says that heartland will pay .5 hrs for the job. In my opinion, if you have the parts and the correct tools, looking at what was done if it takes more than 30 min to complete you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place, very simple.

Matt750
03-01-2021, 10:21 AM
I just got off the phone with Heartland. Our Cyclone 4007 is not on the recall list according to the VIN number. He explained that some of the units had the front landing legs installed straight up instead of on a slight angle. The units with the front jacks installed "straight up" are the issue. I know ours are on an angle, but I don't have any pictures at this time. Next time I go out to the camper I'll get some pictures and try to see what degree of angle they sit at. It would be interesting to compare the recalled units against the non-recalled units.

cashmore
03-01-2021, 09:31 PM
I just got off the phone with Heartland. Our Cyclone 4007 is not on the recall list according to the VIN number. He explained that some of the units had the front landing legs installed straight up instead of on a slight angle. The units with the front jacks installed "straight up" are the issue. I know ours are on an angle, but I don't have any pictures at this time. Next time I go out to the camper I'll get some pictures and try to see what degree of angle they sit at. It would be interesting to compare the recalled units against the non-recalled units.

It'd be interested to see for sure. Im pretty sure that mine are still strait up without any angle to them even after the recall fix. Next time I get to the trailer i'll take a picture from ground level front and we can compare.

Matt750
03-02-2021, 02:02 PM
Well I went out to the camper today, but my digital protractor went dead on me. I was able to lock it into position and then trace it out onto some paper. I used a regular protractor and came up with 4 degrees. I took the measurement from the landing gear mount (what the gear bolts to) and the top of the frame piece that goes to the other side. The landing gear does kick out, but not like I was thinking. It's kind of difficult to tell from the pictures, but there is some degree of angle.

danemayer
03-02-2021, 02:59 PM
Well I went out to the camper today, but my digital protractor went dead on me. I was able to lock it into position and then trace it out onto some paper. I used a regular protractor and came up with 4 degrees. I took the measurement from the landing gear mount (what the gear bolts to) and the top of the frame piece that goes to the other side. The landing gear does kick out, but not like I was thinking. It's kind of difficult to tell from the pictures, but there is some degree of angle.

Looks pretty normal.

cookie
03-02-2021, 03:33 PM
Well I went out to the camper today, but my digital protractor went dead on me. I was able to lock it into position and then trace it out onto some paper. I used a regular protractor and came up with 4 degrees.
A few years ago I was told by Lippert that 4į is the optimum angle.

Peace
Dave