Dually Question???

boatdoc

Hi guys, I don't think there's that many gals here, what have any of you dually folks done for the valve stems on the rear. This is my first dually and I never thought about the valve stems and how hard it is to read the presures and fill. I have done a little searching and it looks like one should stay away from the SS hose extenders as lot's of problems with them leaking.:eek:
Thanks

jbeletti

Gary,

I don't have a lot of experience in this area but I have had good luck with my SS extenders in just over 1 year of use. I have only 1 rear tire that leaks air and pretty sure I found a nail in the tread. Just haven't taken the time to jack the truck, remove the tire and take it into a shop. Brrr cold here in Chicago.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Gary ;

I just use a long tire gauge to check pressures. I have the Alligator V2B Double Seal Valve Caps so I don't need to remove them to check the pressure. Adding air, if necessary, is no problem with those caps and a standard 6 inch air chuck.Info here

John

Dragoon

Gary,

I had all metal stems installed, then had metal (non-flexible) extensions installed. The long one to the inside dually comes just to the edge of the hub liner, and the outside curved one I had to bend more to come to the edge of the liner. They look good, not really noticeable and make checking and filling a whole lot easier. In 3 years, I've not had a problem with them. Wish the truck manufacturers would install them at the factory, guess they're built by people who don't use them. Good luck.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Boatdoc, what truknutt suggested is what I did on my truck. i got the 4" straight extensions for the inner tire and the 180 deg. extender for the outer tire and it works great.

Bill

N9MB

As long as you have the correct inflation chuck you will be okay. Buy one and carry it with you. I personally would not use an extender, too many horror stories.

Delaine and Lindy

I have replaced all valve stems with metal which if your running the Pressure Pro system its recomended. I use the Truck type (dual chuck) gage and how no problem checking tire pressure. I also run my tires the recomended side wall pressure. If your not running the Pressure Pro system, I highly recomend the system in the long run it will save you from a lot of repairs to the wheel well of the 5t wheel. And its nice to see the pressure of all tires at you finger tips. GBY....

jpmorgan37

Hi Rog;

Sorry, I thought that I answered you. I don't run the Pressure Pro on my TV, but since the Gator Caps are threaded, I believe that they will. I am in the process of adding balancing beads to my tires, since I can't seem to find anyone that can do a decent job of balancing a couple of tires on my TV and don't want to ruin them.

John

ct0218

John
Not wanting to steal the thread, but will you give us an evaluation of the beads when you can? No problem with my Michelins on the truck now, but I had Goodyear Silent Armors for 6 months, 3 replaced, and they still couldn't get them balanced. It was frustrating riding with 6 square tires.

jpmorgan37

Hi Clark.

I sure will. I'll be hitting the road again the first of May and will have about 4500 miles by the time we get to the Rally in June so will be able to give you a pretty good report by then. Hope to see you there, but if not, I'll drop you a line.

John

timk

If you have the Pressure Pro or other sender system installed, you don't have to check the darned things anymore. Just check the pressure in the cab. Just use a long tip when airing up, and your done.

Niles

I don't have the crossfire's, but have run the brand cat's eye,pretty much the same thing. I used them on my semi-trucks and trailers. They work great on them. Only one valve stem to use and inflate both tires at the same time, when you are low on air it shows in the gauge. If you have a blow-out it is suppose to cut the air off from the good tire,never had this happen thank goodness, but the great advantage of these things are the even wear you get from your tires as they always have equal pressure in them. If they fit on your Ford I wouldn't hesitate trying them.

boatdoc

Just thought I'd update all on what I did with the rear tire valves. I went with the Duallyvalve extended valves. Les Swabb broke the tires down and put the new valves in and all works great with the Pressure Pro system. No more complaint from the new dually owner here. The stems got out there where you could actually do something with them.
Thanks