Awning LED issues when rains .......

Partsbob

This posted in another spot in the forum, but I’ve had no response there, so thought this might be a more appropriate spot to post:

Has anyone else had issues with their LED strip in the awning roller, particularly when it rains? Our 2019 has had issues in the Solara awning LED strip since purchasing new a year ago, even though the strip was replaced by the dealer for the 2nd time a couple weeks ago. The problem seems to start when the awning gets wet and, when the inside switch is turned On, the strip blinks, but doesn’t stay lit or, if it does stay on, it’s stuck on a single color (usually yellow of all colors). The other day, when the strip wouldn’t light, I wiggled the “sensor” in the front left of the roller and the strip finally lit, but would only in the yellow color, regardless of what I did with the remote. It also wouldn’t turn on or off by the remote, even though the sensor was very visible.

I know power is getting out to the strip, based on the strip flashing when the wall switch is turned on, but I’m very annoyed that this continues to be an ongoing issue ...... when it’s the only lighting for the campsite after dark, so I’ve resorted to keeping a 15’ Walmart LED strip plugged into the camper to have a little comfort in the evenings.

sengli

There have been numerous issues posted on here about the LED lighting strips on several of the brands being somewhat fragile in nature. If you had it worked on by your dealer, and it continues to be an issue, he ought to know about it. Could be power or grounding issues.

MillerTime802

This posted in another spot in the forum, but I’ve had no response there, so thought this might be a more appropriate spot to post:

Has anyone else had issues with their LED strip in the awning roller, particularly when it rains? Our 2019 has had issues in the Solara awning LED strip since purchasing new a year ago, even though the strip was replaced by the dealer for the 2nd time a couple weeks ago. The problem seems to start when the awning gets wet and, when the inside switch is turned On, the strip blinks, but doesn’t stay lit or, if it does stay on, it’s stuck on a single color (usually yellow of all colors). The other day, when the strip wouldn’t light, I wiggled the “sensor” in the front left of the roller and the strip finally lit, but would only in the yellow color, regardless of what I did with the remote. It also wouldn’t turn on or off by the remote, even though the sensor was very visible.

I know power is getting out to the strip, based on the strip flashing when the wall switch is turned on, but I’m very annoyed that this continues to be an ongoing issue ...... when it’s the only lighting for the campsite after dark, so I’ve resorted to keeping a 15’ Walmart LED strip plugged into the camper to have a little comfort in the evenings.
One of my awnings blows the fuse, located in the exterior wall mount behind a removable aluminum cover. I tried to search the problem by chasing power but can't find the problem. I purchased a bunch of fuses and don't turn the lights on that awning if it's raining or shortly thereafter. Ha....poor man's repair.

CarolVgosti

There may be many reasons. Perhaps you have purchased a low-quality LED light, and this model is not adapted to heavy rain. That's why there are flickering, disconnection, and other problems. I have LED smart strip lights at home, they are easily customizable and available in any color, and that's why I like them at home -- their light can create a cool atmosphere in my room. Anyway, I can't give you an exact answer. I hope a more experienced person will help you.

Last edited: