Lithium Ion LiFePO4

Zosimus

I want to upgrade my batteries on my 2015 RS3270 Bighorn RV, but I am not sure if I need to upgrade my converter/charger that came with the RV. Does anyone know if the stock converter that came with the RV in 2015 can be used on the Lithium Ion batteries.

Thank you

RickL

I want to upgrade my batteries on my 2015 RS3270 Bighorn RV, but I am not sure if I need to upgrade my converter/charger that came with the RV. Does anyone know if the stock converter that came with the RV in 2015 can be used on the Lithium Ion batteries.

Thank you

I know the unit I have from the factory on my 2018 is not compatible with lithium batteries. I called the manufacturer Progressive as I was deciding between AGM and Lithium upgrades. I went with 4 6v AGM as the cost to move to lithium between batteries and charger (if I was going to do it I was going to go full monte upgrade) was more then I wanted to spend. The 4 AGM eventually cost me $925.00. (Which now is a distant memory as the same batteries are an additional $150.00 each.)

LBR

I know the unit I have from the factory on my 2018 is not compatible with lithium batteries. I called the manufacturer Progressive as I was deciding between AGM and Lithium upgrades. I went with 4 6v AGM as the cost to move to lithium between batteries and charger (if I was going to do it I was going to go full monte upgrade) was more then I wanted to spend. The 4 AGM eventually cost me $925.00. (Which now is a distant memory as the same batteries are an additional $150.00 each.)

Am curious what reason PI gave you for being not compatible?

When I changed over to our LiFeBlue battery bank on our CY that is sporting their 9280 converter, I didn't even bother calling PI. After reading up on it, the only thing that could fall under the incompatible column that I found was the non-adjustable charge rate. A simple $18.00 Charge Wizard dongle is all I used to step the converter into bulk rate when I press the button.

Zosimus

I have not called them but when I researched their page it shows if you have a specific charger/converter witch one to get if you do Lithium.

RickL

Am curious what reason PI gave you for being not compatible?

When I changed over to our LiFeBlue battery bank on our CY that is sporting their 9280 converter, I didn't even bother calling PI. After reading up on it, the only thing that could fall under the incompatible column that I found was the non-adjustable charge rate. A simple $18.00 Charge Wizard dongle is all I used to step the converter into bulk rate when I press the button.

That’s exactly what PI stated, that the voltage and rates were NOT compatible for lithium batteries. As I’m not big in adding additional accessories, like the dongle, I didn’t investigate any further. Just so I don’t get flamed on not endorsing add-ons, here is my reasoning on the dongle. Adding additional items over just sourcing a piece of equipment that is compatible adds to the complexity of the system. As long as it works flawlessly, there is no issue. However, if problems crop up, then while it seems small, diagnosing the issue just becomes one step harder. (Keep in mind I was a certified automotive master tech for over 20+ yrs, so I know my way around 12v systems quite easily).

I try to subscribe to the K.I.S.S. method as much as possible.

LBR

That’s exactly what PI stated, that the voltage and rates were NOT compatible for lithium batteries. As I’m not big in adding additional accessories, like the dongle, I didn’t investigate any further. Just so I don’t get flamed on not endorsing add-ons, here is my reasoning on the dongle. Adding additional items over just sourcing a piece of equipment that is compatible adds to the complexity of the system. As long as it works flawlessly, there is no issue. However, if problems crop up, then while it seems small, diagnosing the issue just becomes one step harder. (Keep in mind I was a certified automotive master tech for over 20+ yrs, so I know my way around 12v systems quite easily).

I try to subscribe to the K.I.S.S. method as much as possible.

I'm surprised they didn't mention this simple workaround for their 9200 series converters as they endorse and sell it. If you have a 9200 converter, it has a data port for it. Ours at bulk charge puts out 14.4 Volts and comes close to it's rated 80 Amps output. Granted lithiums can take 125A charge rate, but close to 80A@14.4V "ain't no slouch".

Have a great day...
eb0d8ac1161593f611a2b8fce2bc3496.jpg
0c6b511ce67a264858e6fd7edcd03fc8.jpg

LBR

I have not called them but when I researched their page it shows if you have a specific charger/converter witch one to get if you do Lithium.
No doubt they do as they are in the business to sell products. I read, studied, and talked to the lithium battery reps before locking onto my setup.

To me, this is like owning a short box pickup and needing to transport a 4'x8' piece of plywood home. I would simply drop the tailgate, load, and drive rather than buy a long box pickup for the chore.

I know there are several members here that understand lithiums and have no issues with using their factory installed PI converters.

We all have our preferred paths of life, so no one is going to confront us for our decisions.....just trying to help. Have a great day!..

Oregon_Camper

To me, this is like owning a short box pickup and needing to transport a 4'x8' piece of plywood home. I would simply drop the tailgate, load, and drive rather than buy a long box pickup for the chore.

Everyone knows your need a F-450 to carry a 4x8 piece of plywood. :p

porthole

Retired

Thank you

Charge parameters for LiFEPO4 batteries

a. Set Absorb Volts: = 14.6
b. Set Float Volts: = 13.8
c. Set EQ Volts: = 14.6

Note the equalizing voltage.

The above settings are from Magnum to use with their adjustable charge parameters.
Not listed is setting the equalize to .1-.3 since it can't be turned off completely (on the older software remotes).

If you use a Charge Wizard make sure it is the newer version the equalizes at the 14.4 rate. Early version were in excess of 15 volts.

And then there is this:
https://www.progressivedyn.com/frequently-asked-questions-on-converting-to-lithium-charging/

Can I Use My Present Progressive Dynamics PD9200, PD4000 or PD4500 Series Lead/Acid Units With the Charge Wizard to Charge My Lithium Battery?

Yes, if you are willing to live with an expensive battery that is only partially charged. The Normal Output voltage of the PD9200, PD4000 and PD4500 Series voltage provides only 13.6-volts and a full charge voltage for Lithium needs to be 14.4 – 14.6 Volts. The PD9200, PD4000 & PD4500 Series Charge Wizard will initially jump to 14.4-volts in the Boost Mode when first connected to 120 VAC power and will remain there until the battery voltage reaches 13.8-Volts, then automatically drops down to the Normal Mode of 13.6-Volts. The faster charge rate of Lithium means that in the Boost Mode it will reach this 13.8-Volt point after only a few minutes of recharging and then the charging current will drop to ZERO AMPS and will not add any additional charge to your Lithium Battery. This lower charge state will not damage your battery, but will eliminate most of the advantages you paid for.

Follow the advice on the dongle. But most important, buy a battery that has a bms built in. Charging a cold lifepo will destroy it. Top quality batteries like Battleborn have the protection. For a great resource on lifepo batteries, solar power etc follow Will Prowse on YouTube or his web site. Everything you need to know about lifepo and solar.

LBR

Everyone knows your need a F-450 to carry a 4x8 piece of plywood. :p

Our F-450 can't haul 4x8' plywood...the Q24 is always in the way!..

And then there is this:
https://www.progressivedyn.com/frequently-asked-questions-on-converting-to-lithium-charging/

The PD9200, PD4000 & PD4500 Series Charge Wizard will initially jump to 14.4-volts in the Boost Mode when first connected to 120 VAC power and will remain there until the battery voltage reaches 13.8-Volts, then automatically drops down to the Normal Mode of 13.6-Volts. The faster charge rate of Lithium means that in the Boost Mode it will reach this 13.8-Volt point after only a few minutes of recharging and then the charging current will drop to ZERO AMPS and will not add any additional charge to your Lithium Battery.

I believe some of that CW info may be outdated, and the phone reps recite the same to people.....their benefit would be to help sell a new "lithium" converter rather than a $20 CW.

On our 2017 with factory installed 9280, I added the CW in Spring of 2018 and it will deliver 14.4 volts for 4 hours with the lithium battery bank already at 100%. This leads me to believe the latest CW (at that time) may have been updated to hold at bulk charge those 4 hours, rather than kicking back when battery bank obtains a 13.8 voltage. Or did I misunderstand that?

I'm sure PD would not devulge any technical help on how to disable the Normal, Float, Absorb modes so to keep it into Bulk mode 24/7, but if any electrical gurus here open up their 9200 series converters and figure it out, please start a thread on the workaround.... I'm in!

porthole

Retired
I believe some of that CW info may be outdated,

No doubt some of the info may be outdated.
I put a Charge Wizard on our travel trailer, and that was around 2008. At that time the equalization mode was over 15 volts.