Camping in Door County

Peteandsharon

Hi all,

We are considering some camping up in Door County Wisconsin for next summer. I have read about the Wagon Trail Campground in Ellison Bay and wanted to know if anyone has spent time there and could give a recommendation. Also, any other recommendations for campgrounds in Door County would be appreciated.

Peteandsharon

Many thanks to both of you. Reading the reviews and your blog, Jim makes me want to pack up and go right now. We're expecting about 12 inches of snow here on the Illinois/Wisconsin border tonight so maybe I'll hold off on the travel plans, though. Seriously, I love that area but have never camped there. We stayed in a B&B in the area a couple of years ago. It does seem a little expensive but unfortunately that seems to be getting more common. We stayed at a couple of places last summer on our way to the Badlands which made me glad that there was another couple travelling with us and sharing the costs. I have always preferred state park camping to private campgrounds because of the scenery and the larger campsites. That is what sounds so appealing about Wagon Trail. According to the Trailer Life directory it does have some (about 12) sites which are full hookups so maybe we can grab one of them ahead of time. Thanks again, guys, for the good information.

Peteandsharon

Ray and Lin,

I had a bit of a chance to look at the website you recommended above and I really like it. I have used the Trailer Life Campground directory for years now and it gives good information but this site gives you information from a totally different perspective. Very good to have. Thanks again.
Pete

todalake

Vacationed in Door 30+ years

I like to fish and started going to Door for salmon fishing in 1975 and been back about every year since. After the women in the family got a taste of area, we never able to get them back to back woods of Canada again. We will be up there this year most of summer(retiring next month) with the camper. Also will have the boat there for salmon and walleye fishing. Since we always stayed before in Bailey's Harbor we were familiar with Baileys Grove Campground. FIL and BIL have stayed there many times before. Stop by if you get a chance. PM me if you have any questions about area.

http://www.baileysgrovecampground.com/

Peteandsharon

I've actually just done some research on Baileys Grove as a possibility. We are getting together with some family and we are the only ones with a rig. So other family members would have to get other accomodations such as B&B or in or whatever. One of them suggested the area around Kangaroo Lake so I have been doing some looking. I know there is an Inn on the lake which is supposedly about 2 miles from this campground. Could work. Thanks for the info.
Pete

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Pete, We go to Bailey's Harbor and stay at a CG called Bean Town. It has 50 amp and 30 amp service, cable, sewer, and water. We use it as our base camp and tour the area. Great area for fruit wine.