Wall Hanging?

tkdmike

Okay, since we've started full-timing my wife really wants to hang family photos on the walls. It has to feel like home to her so I'm okay with it. But, what is the best way to do that? I've looked at two or three ways but haven't seen anything really good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time

Mike

Tom of Ypsi

We are using the 3M velcro type tape (can't think of the name) and have not had any problems at all. Three pic's hanging for 1 1/2 years and only removed to dust.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We use a combo of the 3M Command type hangers (don't leave residue) and velcro dots. Nothings fallen off so far. On a couple of the heavier items, we've used the regular "J" shaped, nail in picture hangers with the velcro. "Ook" brand is best, dollar store, not so much. Trust me on this. :)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
We use a combo of the 3M Command type hangers (don't leave residue) and velcro dots. Nothings fallen off so far. On a couple of the heavier items, we've used the regular "J" shaped, nail in picture hangers with the velcro. "Ook" brand is best, dollar store, not so much. Trust me on this. :)

Try one of these. I ain't had nothing fall when I used this either.

Attachments

• 41MBSQ21PPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    41MBSQ21PPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 39

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In our other SOB fiver we used velcro on the overhead cabinet doors to hang pictures. Then we didn't have to hang them on the walls.

tkdmike

Thanks!

thanks for the replies. I've got velcro and velcro dots but not the 3M command hangers. I really liked Lefty's answer - got a couple of those just laying around I might try, too.None

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In our SOB TT that we traded in, we used 3M velcro to hang pictures on the walls. When removing the velcro, there is a distinct possibility that the vinyl wall paper will lift and even tear. The small lifting can be smoothed back down, the tears (remove the velcro SLOOWLY) required resealing the velcro and leaving the picture where it was. Fortunately, they were small prints of swan photos (digital) the wife took and were on either side of the dinette slide window.

hillsonwheels

Me thinks Lefty comes from the same school as my brother (He works for an outfit that builds railroad cars.) WHEN IN DOUBT...GO STOUT.:eek:

Bob L

Like John and Darlene said, the weight of the picture on 3m or velcro may or will overtime lift or bubble the vinyl wall covering from the plywood backer. The vinyl tears real easy if bubbled or lifting when you try to remove the velcro or release the 3m adhesive. I used a 3m hook inside a closet and it caused the vinyl wall covering to come loose. Best to use adhesive hangers only to stabilize the pictures for travel purposes and use a small picture nail to support the pictures.
Bob L

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Like John and Darlene said, the weight of the picture on 3m or velcro may or will overtime lift or bubble the vinyl wall covering from the plywood backer. The vinyl tears real easy if bubbled or lifting when you try to remove the velcro or release the 3m adhesive. I used a 3m hook inside a closet and it caused the vinyl wall covering to come loose. Best to use adhesive hangers only to stabilize the pictures for travel purposes and use a small picture nail to support the pictures.
Bob L
Not exactly, Bob. The picture frames were very lightweight (made some of them) and stayed up for over a year. It was trying to remove them and get the velcro off the wall where the problem arose.

joonbug

How to lift 3m velcro from the wall without tearing

Howdy all.

What we did was use a hair blow dryer to warm the glue behind and it made it softer, go slow, and no problem. I had pictures EVERYWHERE, did not peel a one. Hope this helps. :)

Joonbug
Kim Beaty
Fulltimer for 6 years

" I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight,
that to some one's need I was blind, but I never have yet,
felt a tinge of regret for being a little too kind"
Author Unknown

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I use drywall screws and they work fine. When you get ready to sell the rv, remove the screws and then caulk the screw hole to match the wall covering. Normally the walls have a vinyl covering on them, and you can normally push this back over the hole then use the caulk. When i sold the last rv, you really had to look hard to find the holes and they were almost invisible. Plus, the next person will normally hang a picture in the exact same place. So, all you guys, go ahead and hang the pictures up.

LOUP

i am loup
I have a few things hanging up -- but with the 3M stuff I am getting "bubbles" on the wall where it sticks to whatever gives the wall the color and pulls away from the actual board.

We bought a digital frame and put a lot of pics on that ... that helps too.

I use the yellow "putty" to keep things from clanking back and forth during moves and laundry. It doesn't leave a residue and only takes a bit. You can find it at wal-mart by the picture frames.

rick_debbie_gallant

Barn spikes is best! Actually the monofil is not a bad idad. Get the real thin clear strong stuff. Make it long enough to go up to where the trim is at the ceiling/wall junction tie to a small nail or other item (emery board with a hole for the line) then slip it between the trim and the wall. Easy to take down and easy to put back up.

MurrayN.

This is a little off topic but have any of you hung extra towel bars in your bathroom? How would you attach them to those paper thin walls? Could you use those spring loaded butterfly clips that open up after they get pushed through a small hole? Would those be strong enough for a towel bar? What have you all tryed?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Murray, we used moly-fasteners for anything that is a little heavy. We bought all the towel racks and the TP holder at wally-world. Been hanging there for 2 years now. Even my BIL hasn't riped them off yet, but thats a whole other story. Took an hour to fix the one in the house. Spackle.....good stuff. He is now banned from using our restrooms. Bought him a BIG sandbox and leave it outside. Bob:D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Murray, OH YEA, when you hang towel bars and such. Put a level on the floor and mark where the bubble is. Then and only then make your marks on the wall "BEFORE YOU DRILL ANY HOLES". We will not discuss how I know. :mad: Bob:D