Fresh water tank operation

brian

I have a new 3055 and love it. I am trying however to use the water supply in the unit- tank is full and I can hear the 12v pump running, but nothing out of any outlet (no water- no air pressure). I found a valve under the unit that was open (think it is the fresh water drain) I closed it, but it is still not pressuring up- help :confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Brian, three things come to mind. One is are you sure your tank is full? The first time I used mine I thought it was full, as the guage said so. For some unknown reason the guage was not right. Some units have a vent tube that does not vent the tank properly and when you fill it, the water comes out of the inlet because of the poor venting. Usually there is water standing in the vent tube. I put a hose on the vent and blow into it to clear the standing water. Also you said you found a open drain valve on the bottom. Maybe your water ran out before you had a chance to use it. Did you refill after closing the valve? Hope this helps.
Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Brian, the vent is next to the fill tube pipe you use to fill the tank. It's about a 3/8 size hole next to the fill pipe. BTW, be very careful about how much air pressure you use to blow it out. Too much pressure can blow it loose at the tank.:eek: Good luck. Bob:D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I usually take a piece of hose and hold one end to the vent, take a deep breath and blow in the other end till I'm dizzy. Works for me.
Peace
Dave

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have a new 3055 and love it. I am trying however to use the water supply in the unit- tank is full and I can hear the 12v pump running, but nothing out of any outlet (no water- no air pressure). I found a valve under the unit that was open (think it is the fresh water drain) I closed it, but it is still not pressuring up- help :confused:

I got a 3055 too...and it came from the factory with the drain valve open...no water at all...AND the gauges say my tank is full. I do have to admit that If I filled up my water tank and the valve was open...the ankle deep water might be a clue, you know what I mean?

Doesn't really matter....I never fill my water tank. Too much weight. Why pay for weight when I can hook up at my next stop?

When I travel I keep a couple of gallons of water sitting in the sinks, just in case I need to rinse something off.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Brian, also make sure the valve between the pump and tank is open. If not, the pump will just run and run. Open the access panel in the basement to get to the pump. The pump is behind the docking center. On the inlet side of the pump, the end with the little screen filter, follow that white hose to a valve about a foot from the pump. The valve handle should be parallel to the hose. Hope this works for you.

snuffy

Could the winterizing valve be operated and it is trying to suck antifreeze into the pump?

brian

I must admit the by-pass valve position is confusing. I pulled off the access panel to check the plumbing and there are no valves inside that could be causing a problem. I am stumped. Does anyone know for sure the correct postion of the by-pass valve and winterizing valves-mine are currently horizontal?? Other wise I am going to have to look at the pump being the fault

brian

Cookie: thanks for the pics, looks like my valves are corrrect. I will have to look for another solution.

snuffy

We are assuming that you have used the unit before and that the city water works and the water heater is full. Wouldn't hurt to put the bypass hose in a jug of water to make sure something is not piped incorrectly.

dreamer

Brian It seems odd to me that that you say you closed the fresh water drain valve underneath. If your water tank is full there should have been water coming out or signs that the water already ran out and the tank is empty. If that valve was closed and you turned it and the tank had water in it some should have come out. secondly if you are convinced your tank has water in it I would take the water pump access cover off and like Snuffy says check to see that the winterizing valve is shut off. Also look too see if both lines are attached to the pump and the filter is in place.[I do not winterize with antifreeze so blow out the lines and disconnect a line at the pump] Hope this helps.None

brian

Thanks Dreamer, all valves are correct. The tank drain was open and not draining as the 8" exposed section below the unit is frozen. I gained access to the pump and can see no obvious problems without pulling the pump off. The pump does sound as though its gurgling with low water, and perhaps its not fully priming. There is definately water in the tank -1/2 full