New Cyclone Owners

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
My wife and I have talked about a fifth wheel toy hauler since seeing our first one at the Minnesota State Fair in 1994 which was a Featherlite Horse Hauler with living quarters. Finally, last October at the Indianapolis Fall RV and Boat show we saw our first Heartland, really liked what we saw and pulled the trigger on a 2008 3912 Cyclone. We picked up our Cyclone in New Castle, IN and I towed it home to Illinois (about 140 miles). We have had only one opportunity to use the Cyclone prior to winterizing and putting it away in the barn. Just prior to this we had purchased a 2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD powered by a DuraMax/Allison transmission with all the bells and whistles for towing with full intentions of doing just that. Both times our 2500 appeared to have no problems with the Cyclone and I was very pleased at the handling of both.

Prior to signing on the dotted line I researched my particular vehicles towing capacity through my dealership, my owners manual and by running my weights/ratios on a towing website, i.e. GVWR, Front Axle Weight, Rear Axle Weight, Payload, GCWR, PWC, MTR, Axle Ration, etc.) My manual states 14,300 for a MTW, the computer calculations verified this. I had some concerns at that time of My dealership and Walnut Ridge Family RV have assurred me that my vehcile/powertrain combination was fully compatable with the Cyclone (dry weight 13,400) and my vehicle was capable of 16,400 MTR.

While all seems to be in order and I am very happy with the handling (although limited) I would be interested in hearing from other folks who have similar rigs. Thanks.

Jim

flamingknitter

Welcome to the Heartland family!! There are plenty of great people on this forum with plenty of great advice. I'm not sure how your message sneaked by without a reply but I will bump it back up to the top so you can get the help you need.

FYI - I have a Landmark Augusta and it has a loaded weight of 16400. I drive a Chevy 1 ton dually with 4 wheel drive and the crew cab and I am a scosh overweight. The the guys on this forum can fill you in on all the details but this tow vehicle thing is tricky. The other thing I have learned is NEVER trust the RV salesman when it comes to tow vehicles!!! Mine said a 3/4 ton would be ok and then he also said I didn't need a special license. Turns out in California anyone towing over 15,000 pounds needs a non-commercial A.

Anyway, welcome to the family. Hope you enjoy your Cyclone and can come to a rally soon.

Marybeth

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. Enjoy your new Cyclone. If you can, try to attend the Heartland Owners Rally in Goshen in June this year. More info is in the Rally Sub Forum. Travel safe and stay warm.

jimtoo

Hi Warnerelli,

Welcome to the Heartland Forum and Family. I'm sure you will find lots of information here. Just ask and some member will respond with the answer, or at least point in the right direction.

Jim M

rvv

WELCOME! Always great to have another Cyclone owner on board; especially when its a 3912. We have certainly enjoyed ours. You'll find all kinds of previous discussion on this forum regarding tow vehicles and "how big" is "big enough." Enjoy your Cyclone and remember the rallying cry of my red-headed step brother, H.T. Neighbors, "I LOVE MY CYCLONE!:D" rvv

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Thanks folks, I will look at the other forums for more information on my tow/trailer package. If anyone else has any more advice or information with similar tow packages I would look forward to hearing more. Right now my confidence level at making the right choice is lower than I like.

Jim

rideblue

I have frequented an RV forum website since the purchase of my 3795 Cyclone that would rip this post apart. I'm so glad to see some civilized folks here. I tow my rig with a 2005 Ford F250. I really need to weigh it to find out exactly what's going on but I live in a small town without scales. What I have read is that the weights given by RV dealerships/manufacterers do not include all the upgrades and generator. Also, pin weight is usually up to 20% of the total weight. Your truck weight was listed, probably, in a dry state and does not include full fuel tank, passengers, luggage and 5th wheel hitch. I have been told on this other website that I am out of limits with my combination. But I know how well it tows and I had one problem-keeping my speed down while travelling down steep grades. The diesel doesn't have much back pressure in the motor. My tow/haul tranny would downshift properly but the motor would rev so much more than I wanted. Smelled brakes plenty of times. I ended putting on an airbrake which keeps my speed consitent w/o riding the brakes or high revving the motor. The single best thing I have done to the truck to help with all this weight was put on airbags. This makes it drive SO much better and also brings the headlights back down so I don't blind any drivers while I'm still on lowbeam. I hope some of this info helps. Weigh it so you know for sure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is a link to Weigh It, a company that travels around to rallies and shows offering a weighing service to RVers. I would suggest you catch up with them when they are close to you and get your rig weighed. Not only do they weigh it, they will consult with you offering suggestions on how you can get your rig more balanced and correct any problems they find. They weigh each tire separately and not just they axle.

http://weighit.tripod.com/index.html

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Jim, thanks for the info and I will look into this. I noticed you have airbags. I have been contiplating this, your thoughts and experince would be appreciated.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I love the air bags on my truck. Although they do not increase the maximum carrying capacity according to the manufacturer, they allow you to level your load so you are not light in the front and heavy in the rear. They also cushion the bouncing from the road and help the wear and tear on the suspension. For the money it is worth it. I am able to increase or decrease the air in the air bags right from the driver's seat even while moving. This allows you to stiffen or soften the suspension depending on the road conditions. Also, when not towing you can allow you to release almost all of the air (I keep about 10 pounds in it) to go back to the stock suspension.

Dennist

atving and camping...
Air bags

Jim, thanks for the info and I will look into this. I noticed you have airbags. I have been contiplating this, your thoughts and experince would be appreciated.

We put air bags on our F 350 SRW as with the 4012 we were running on the overloads quite often.

Thus JC Whitney, sign up for their emails and you will get a coupon almost daily for free shipping or a percentage off. We went with the Firestone w/o the compressor. Paid less than 200, think it was 192.00 delivered, took me about 3 beers to get them installed on our Ford.

We run around 22lbs in them and the ride is great. No more bottoming out on these rough roads. Maybe the billions we are blowing as a country will help with the roads. HA!

We have owned 6 Fords all diesels, and 4 semi's. All broke in via driving em like we stole em! Never worried about the engine break in as we buy a new Semi with Detroits or Cummins every 450,000 mi and load em and run em.

Have fun with your new toy hauler. We are heading S for spring break, got to do some ATV riding in GA....ye ha! Durhamtown Plantation here we come!